Sign in to follow this  

2001 Drz 250

Hey everyone. I looked around the forum for the answer but couldn't find it. My buddy is trying to get into bikes so he's buying an 01 Drz 250 this weekend as a starter bike. The one he's looking at doesn't have a speedo on it. It has a tripmeter but that's all. We are wondering if a universal speedo would plug and play with his bike. Or if there are any requirements we should be aware of before purchasing one. Any input is appreciated. Thanks all

No worries. I have a had a good run out of mine on my DR650. Never any issues, been very reliable. I hooked up tacho sensor wire direct to the coil rather than wrapping it around the plug lead which is a bit untidy I think. I also filed the temp sensor out a bit with a round file so that It would fit on to one of the oil cooler lines that goes into the head, rather than around the spark plus as trailtech recommend. If you need any more advice on this, send me a PM, as I also have a DRZ250 (2006) model but with the stock speedo setup, but should be able to give you some advice any way.

I made mine street legal here in Ma. and used a  wired cateye astrale 8 that is a bicycle speedometer/odometer. Max speed capability of the unit  is around 150 mph and I have calibrated it to be right on. Matched with my garmin gps, top speed is 78 mph with the stock gearing. Cruises great at 55-65 and would do better if I geared it up..which would compromise the tight trail capability. Great bike except carburation is lacking flexibility imo..

Gary