Sign in to follow this  

Front brakes

Got a question for all of you. My Honda cr250 front brakes (model year 2000) just suck. They have sucked since day one of owning the bike (bought used in 2009.) The lever is firm, I have flushed the system twice since owning the bike. My brake fluid is clear currently. I'm like 99.9% sure all the air is out of the line. I squeeze the front brakes as hard as I can and I can't get them to lock up. The lever stops about half way through. I don't want my brakes to lock up but I don't want to keep feeling the bike pick up more speed going down a steep hill climb. I have tried 3 or so new sets of brake pads. I thought my problem was a leaking front fork seal which caused oil to get on the pads. In the brake pads themselves I have tried different brands and so on. My newest combo are the warp 9 rims which come with new rotors and some cycle gear 35 dollar pads. I don't mind rebuilding the master cylinder and brake caliper, but wondering if there is anything else to try? Also before I forget I have stainless steel brake lines courtesy of the previous owner.

Thanks,

Chris

It sounds to me like you have a problem in the caliper. If the brake handle STOPS like it has hit a solid spot, and won't move any further, one of the pistons is probably stuck in the caliper, and you have only 1 piston working (of the 2).

I would pull the caliper off the bike, put a rebuild kit in it, and inspect the pistons very carefully for wear or damage. If one of the pistons is stuck, you will know right away that you found your problem.

I have an '01 and it will flip you over the front if you are not careful, or apply too much brake when descending a hill, or apply the front brake while turning (washes out the front).