Sign in to follow this  

Broke my elbow. Best elbow brace/guard?

I know it's late to start looking at these products, but I would like to have them when I can start riding again. So last Saturday night 7/26 I broke my elbow at a race. A week ago 7/29 I had surgery. I now have a plate and 6 screws holding my elbow together. I'm hoping to get back on the bike in 2 months or so. I want the best of the best for elbow braces. I'm 16 years old, 5'10" and 155 lbs. I would appreciate honest reviews of products that you guys have tested and put to use. Thank you!

1407279224200.jpg

1407279235588.jpg

1407279259780.jpg

1407279268349.jpg

1407279282577.jpg

I know it's late to start looking at these products, but I would like to have them when I can start riding again. So last Saturday night 7/26 I broke my elbow at a race. A week ago 7/29 I had surgery. I now have a plate and 6 screws holding my elbow together. I'm hoping to get back on the bike in 2 months or so. I want the best of the best for elbow braces. I'm 16 years old, 5'10" and 155 lbs. I would appreciate honest reviews of products that you guys have tested and put to use. Thank you!

That's a tough break. Don't just post here, look at other extreme sports forums as well. I can't recommend a good elbow brace but I bet your insurance will help pay for the one you do get. Fight for it, it will be expensive. And worth it.

You being only 16 and probably still growing, did the doc not say anything about removing the hardware after its healed? That's pretty typical to do.

Curious, when you say its too late to start looking at these products, does that mean you weren't wearing any guards at the time?

Haven't seen moto elbow braces. I bet if there are any moto specific braces, they're not padded well. You might be fabbing up something yourself from what's available, if you want an actual "brace".

Check these options out. Some might lend themselves to modding for moto purposes.

http://www.braceshop.com/braces-and-supports/elbow-braces.htm

You being only 16 and probably still growing, did the doc not say anything about removing the hardware after its healed? That's pretty typical to do.

Curious, when you say its too late to start looking at these products, does that mean you weren't wearing any guards at the time?

Haven't seen moto elbow braces. I bet if there are any moto specific braces, they're not padded well. You might be fabbing up something yourself from what's available, if you want an actual "brace".

Check these options out. Some might lend themselves to modding for moto purposes.

http://www.braceshop.com/braces-and-supports/elbow-braces.htm

The doc said only reason they would go in and remove the hardware is if it bothers me and I can feel it. She said a majority of her patients have it removed for this reason but there's not need to. I can have it removed years down the line if I would like. And yes, I wasn't wearing any elbow pads or anything. Thank you for your suggestions

One thing I'll tell you is be sure to do your physical therapy, you don't want problems down the line especially at your age...If you aren't cross training off the bike now is a good time to start

I broke my ankle 2 and a half months ago. My experience with the whole doctor/physical therapists is that you're not gonna be on the bike for a LONG time. I fractured my growth plate and did not require surgery. They casted it for 5 weeks and then I thought I was ready to go. NOPE. I then had a walking boot for 3 weeks and I'm still in physical therapy (3rd week). The therapy is something everybody should be required to do. It's not fun but it has showcased the lack of strength in my right leg.Therapist said another 3-5 weeks before I'm back on the bike. I suspect that the therapy and risk for reinjury for an elbow break is much greater than that of a simply ankle fracture. I just want to ride my new bike.

I did the same thing you're doing now. About a week after I bought some new SG12s to prevent it from happening again. I always where the elbow pads. They've saved my elbows a few times. They aren't anything like a knee brace but they haven't failed me yet. I'm not sure if they make an elbow brace for mx. The massive hinged unit would definately feel bulky and weird.

Hope you recover well!