Sign in to follow this  

2014 issues?

Hey all!  New here and new to motos.  I  really had my decision set on a 2014 KX250f but after some research and a few opinions I am hearing that the Kawasaki has questionable reliability.  I have read about horror stories of major engine related failures and it has me second guessing.  I was just curious if this is a past issue or an ongoing problem.  Any feedback is appreciated.

Thanks!

Hey all! New here and new to motos. I really had my decision set on a 2014 KX250f but after some research and a few opinions I am hearing that the Kawasaki has questionable reliability. I have read about horror stories of major engine related failures and it has me second guessing. I was just curious if this is a past issue or an ongoing problem. Any feedback is appreciated.

Thanks!

Not exactly true. Basically the bike is wicked fast and extremely reliable if maintained. There's the key word "maintained" we have been running them 2 years national in B class with zero failures ringing the piss out of them. Here's the method that works, frequent as 2 rides air filter changes. I change oil every ride. Use either Delo400 or Shell Rotella both are great. Walmart sells it cheap which ends up costing $2.50 and oil change. Cheap insurance. Oil filter change about every 3-4 oil changes. 850cc no filter change, 900cc with changing filter. Kawis don't run enough oil. After 25-30 hours get rid of the oem piston and install Cosworth, JE or an 11 oem piston. The 12,13,14 oem piston is the problem, it's why they redesigned the 15's piston. Don't be fooled these bikes are reliable

Is changing the piston a costly repair and is it a dealership repair?? That was one of the main issues I was reading about.

Is changing the piston a costly repair and is it a dealership repair?? That was one of the main issues I was reading about.

dealerships charge a lot for labor. Any bike mechanic can do it. Buy a manual it's that simple to do if you have basic mechanical skills

Awesome, thank you for all that info. I am fairly mechanical and do enjoy working on things. I found a '14 for $5600 sticker plus tax and fees. Just wondering how much wiggle room there will be on price.....any idea on that? I have never bought a bike from a dealership so I'm not sure. Thanks

Awesome, thank you for all that info. I am fairly mechanical and do enjoy working on things. I found a '14 for $5600 sticker plus tax and fees. Just wondering how much wiggle room there will be on price.....any idea on that? I have never bought a bike from a dealership so I'm not sure. Thanks

funny you ask, I buy 2 new bikes a year and get good deals. I paid 5940 OTD last year on my 13's. Rebates are low so 14's are about 6500 OTD. Where in Cali are you?

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1407290507.596622.jpg here is an 11 piston on left and 13 right. Which would you pick

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByThumper Talk1407290507.596622.jpg here is an 11 piston on left and 13 right. Which would you pick

Holy cow that is a huge difference.  I cannot believe they went backwards with the design.  I think it will be a while before I will be really hammering the bike so hopefully it won't cause me any trouble but I will do the maintenance you recommended.  

One dealership has a new '13 KX250f for $5200 sticker....is the '14 worth the extra $$ over the '13?  I was thinking I could possibly get an even better deal on the '13 but really want the better bike.

Holy cow that is a huge difference. I cannot believe they went backwards with the design. I think it will be a while before I will be really hammering the bike so hopefully it won't cause me any trouble but I will do the maintenance you recommended.

One dealership has a new '13 KX250f for $5200 sticker....is the '14 worth the extra $$ over the '13? I was thinking I could possibly get an even better deal on the '13 but really want the better bike.

if you can get a new 13 for real cheap then yes! Not a big enough difference from 13-15 to justify the cost. The changes are of no affect for us.

By chance do you know what the differences may be?  It looks like the plastics are a bit different in color and I think i read that the '14 fork has different/better tuning.  Do you see much difference between your '13 and '14 KX?

By chance do you know what the differences may be? It looks like the plastics are a bit different in color and I think i read that the '14 fork has different/better tuning. Do you see much difference between your '13 and '14 KX?

went from black to white rear fender. Launch control, threaded countershaft bolt instead of c-clip. Same suspension just a valving spec change.

By chance do you know what the differences may be?  It looks like the plastics are a bit different in color and I think i read that the '14 fork has different/better tuning.  Do you see much difference between your '13 and '14 KX?

The 14' also has 4 dogs on their transmission gears instead of 3 on the 13' model. I don't know what dogs are in transmissions but it was designed for an improvement in shifting smoothness. I own a 14' model and I love it. Make sure not to run pure synthetic unless it has some additive (forgot name) that is safe for wet clutches. I use Maxima Syn Blend 10w40 http://www.maximausa.com/product/synblend4/

Edited by BrapCity