Sign in to follow this  

05 crf450r with 13.5 to 1 hi comp piston faster with race fuel

I have a 05 crf450r street supermoto. I recently rebuilt it with a 13.5 hi comp piston and some new kibble white intake valves which I lapped in. It has maybe 8 hours on it and o decoded to try some 110 turbo blue leaded race fuel our station has. No bs I notice a difference. Im on my second tank and the power it added was shocking I couldn't believe it. Why idk I'm thinking maybe the piston likes the higher octane orr maybe the lead is sealing the valves idk. But it turned the bike into an animal. Im trying to figure out why. I mean it ran good before but runs better on it. Even throttle response. Also it does have a JD jet kit I installed also. But I'm 100 percent positive this is not placebo....... I don't know of this is a good thing or a bad thing. Is like your input as to why this is because i should be fine with 93 but why am I getting a gain from 110????? PS I mainly tried it justttt for the smell and then shockingly discovered this......

I quit running TurboBlue, you will see why when you tear it down. The stuff is so dirty. Run a 100 octane unleaded oxygenated fuel now and get better power (Sunoco 260GT).

Ok where should I start then because it scares me how I'm getting a performance gain from this when I know I should not be. Should I go up on the main jet ??? And I mean it does not appear to me lean though. If it is lean id guess its the main. The pilot should be good cause my airscrew is set within spec and it starts up cold and hot perfectly fine and no decel poping maybe a slight slight hiccup with a long coast but nothing out of ordinary. Yeah i think the needle is good where its at. Its set to where JD recommended it.

you're missing my point. You were likely lean before changing to the race fuel if you were running pump gas. Pump gas is oxygenated whereas your race gas is not, so it'll run richer with the race fuel. I am not saying it's lean, now, but it may be lean on pump gas. That would explain the power change.

Don't know, you'd have to get the bike jetted correctly. If you're feeling sotp gains it could be the needle and main. Put it on a dyno and get the AFR measured at a bunch of different spots if you are concerned.