Bike set for 170 lbs but I weigh 195

Is it that big of a difference in weight to go to heavier springs? I'm a "fast" C rider (were all slow) but I keep bottoming out on this 80 ft table top. The valving setup is for neither moto not offroad, it's kind of an inbetween since I ride both. The compression on fork and shock were set mid range and I stiffened those up which helped a little. But it also through off my riding and I kept being nose high on jumps. If I bump up the compression what do I need to do to the dampening? I'm new to the suspension stuff and still learning... So someone please enlighten my little knowledge! Thanks!

I think your weight has a greater dependence on correct springs, than rider speed. Mostly the spring has to hold the bike end at the correct height in the stroke. Consider when the suspension briefly isn't moving.

Nose high is normally too much rear sag or too soft on rear compression

Thank you, I will tinker with stiffening the compression. And decreasing the sag.

I think your weight has a greater dependence on correct springs, than rider speed. Mostly the spring has to hold the bike end at the correct height in the stroke. Consider when the suspension briefly isn't moving.

right that's what I'm saying. Are the current springs I have in there for a 170 lb rider too soft for 195 lbs. I do not know the spring rates

Are the current springs I have in there for a 170 lb rider too soft for 195 lbs?  I do not know the spring rates

If the current springs feel good for riders who are 25 lbs less than you, then for sure you need stiffer springs.

The best thing to go is just feel what your bike is doing. When both ends are too soft for you and your target riding terrain, then your bike will feel like a rocking-horse.

When the fork is too soft for you, then you cannot keep your body weight on the sweet spot on the bike. You'll tend to drift aft on the bike to avoid over steer and instability.  Because you're back on the bike, when you get on the gas out of turns, the rear might squat too much and then step out. All sorts of things can go wrong. However some riders generally like to keep their body back a bit, like Roczen or Alessi, so it's all relative to rider needs.

When the rear spring is too soft, the rear will wallow and poe-go bounce around. It can feel harsh when it blows through the stroke too quickly/easily. A correct rear spring will make the rear feel a lot smoother in general.  Too soft a spring and you end up with very little static sag, so when you lift off the throttle, the rear will often stand up too much, which causes all sort of problems with overall balance and loss of traction because the rear briefly sits too high in the stroke.

Edited by numroe

If the current springs feel good for riders who are 25 lbs less than you, then for sure you need stiffer springs.

The best thing to go is just feel what your bike is doing. When both ends are too soft for you and your target riding terrain, then your bike will feel like a rocking-horse.

When the fork is too soft for you, then you cannot keep your body weight on the sweet spot on the bike. You'll tend to drift aft on the bike to avoid over steer and instability. Because you're back on the bike, when you get on the gas out of turns, the rear might squat too much and then step out. All sorts of things can go wrong. However some riders generally like to keep their body back a bit, like Roczen or Alessi, so it's all relative to rider needs.

When the rear spring is too soft, the rear will wallow and poe-go bounce around. It can feel harsh when it blows through the stroke too quickly/easily. A correct rear spring will make the rear feel a lot smoother in general. Too soft a spring and you end up with very little static sag, so when you lift off the throttle, the rear will often stand up too much, which causes all sort of problems with overall balance and loss of traction because the rear briefly sits too high in the stroke.

the springs felt awesome when I weighed 170 but I've since packed on a lot of muscle and I'm blowing through the suspension on jumps. I'll have someone tape me this weekend to see what it's doing when I land. To

Me, the bike only feels soft when I'm landing, it's manageable everywhere else.c

Video on tape? Those were the days.

Sounds like you need stiffer springs even without the jumps. Just hit some rollers fast under power or hard brakes. Or hammer it across some random chatter bumps. Or ride some deep corner ruts and see how much ground clearance you have for your inside peg, leg and hip.

Comparing a bike that is manageable versus one that is setup great ... There is a big difference in potential speed and safety.

I rate fun as the most important goal. What is fun is personal preference, and this applies to suspension too.

Video on tape? Those were the days.

Sounds like you need stiffer springs even without the jumps. Just hit some rollers fast under power or hard brakes. Or hammer it across some random chatter bumps. Or ride some deep corner ruts and see how much ground clearance you have for your inside peg, leg and hip.

Comparing a bike that is manageable versus one that is setup great ... There is a big difference in potential speed and safety.

I rate fun as the most important goal. What is fun is personal preference, and this applies to suspension too.

well I rode last weekend. Suspension STILL too soft. After I stiffened it up the ride was so harsh I actually lost the handlebars in chop even with a steering damper. I still

Bottom on that big table and on the fast triples (58-66 ft). I'm at 18 clicks compression on forks and 14 on shock.

Yep, stiffer springs, if you had some, would feel more plush when riding fast than incorrect soft springs which blow through or wallow low in the stroke. Sounds like it's not as manageable as you hoped.  So many people say get the right springs. It really does make a big difference.

Yep, stiffer springs, if you had some, would feel more plush when riding fast than incorrect soft springs which blow through or wallow low in the stroke. Sounds like it's not as manageable as you hoped. So many people say get the right springs. It really does make a big difference.

yeah it's not easy to ride atm at all. I'm either killin myself on jumps or killin myself in corners and straights. Don't even get me started on how that SOB cornered when I stiffened it up. Holy !&$%