Sign in to follow this  

1978 RM250

I have a 1978 Suzuki RM250 (aluminum tank model). So is the frame the same as 76, 77? Will a 370 or 400 bolt up directly? I just picked it up so I haven't done any research.

I'm asking these questions because it has no top end or exhaust, and it might be just as easy to Find a complete motor and exhaust.

The difference between a "C" and a "c2", ummm, "back in the day" was pretty big ~ today not so much.  Although collectors lately seem to prefer the aluminum tank models not so much for performance but for looks (plastic tanks fade) and for that "vintage feel".  It's a pretty safe bet that a 370 or 400 engine would bolt up but in all honesty I would fix the 250.  It'll be easier to live with (less vvvvvibration & easier to start).  This model shared that same cylinder as a '79 PE250, ... well, the porting may not be "exact" but it'll be close enough.  The PE250 pipe will be different, although it would only be like installing an FMF Gnarly pipe on a modern bike.

370's and 400's from this era are even rarer, but not in a good way...  What exactly are you planning on doing with the bike?

'78 RM250c

1978_RM250_yellow_650.jpg

'78 RM250c2

1979_RM250_yel-leftside_800.jpg