Sign in to follow this  

Tennis Elbow?

Hi, Never had tennis elbow but .... I sort of strained my elbow about a month ago loading my bike and then jammed it (sandy track fortunately) during a crash a few days later.  This was about a month ago.  Elbow still hurts when torqued (such as when shaking someone's hand) and can't lift much with it without some pain.  Otherwise no real pain and have full range of motion.  No swelling or obvious sign of injury either.

What is the problem?

Will it get better?

Thanks!

Speaking from experience and as a practitioner, Ice is your best friend short term.  Ice it as much as possible ..... 15 minutes on and 45 minutes off in the evenings when at home.  If you can ice it during the day.  Avoid heat (heating pad) like the plague.  It'll feel good while it's on there but will keep the inflammation reved up.  Get a chopat brace.  You've seen them on tennis players.  A single strap across the forearm that you can cinch down.  Make a tight fist and cinch it down.  That way when you relax your fist it won't be too tight on the arm and impair circulation.  Wear it 24 hours/day.  This gives support to the extensor tendons of the forearm which is where the problem is.  If the issue doesn't clear up in a couple of weeks you have 2 options.  (1)see a chiropractor and see if you have a jammed radial head in your forearm.  Some times when you fall and catch yourself on your hands you jam the radial head against the ulna.  The radius is the smaller of the 2 bones in your forearm, the ulna is the larger.  A jammed radial head can produce similar symptoms.  (2) If that doesn't work then you may need to get a cortisone injection in the area to knock out the inflammation.  Taking anti-inflammatories may help but ice is the best.

Charlie

• Like 1

snip...Elbow still hurts when torqued (such as when shaking someone's hand) and can't lift much with it without some pain. 

Had similar symptoms some time back.  Pain was to the point that I nearly went to the doctor.  Massaging did the trick for my "tendonitis"/tennis elbow.

Read more here:

http://saveyourself.ca/articles/tennis-elbow.php

http://saveyourself.ca/articles/spot-05-forearm-extensors.php

Quick check for tennis elbow. Extend you arm, make a fist. Using the fingers of you other hand,  thumb, index and middle finger, grasp your elbow on either side. Not in the area where they draw blood or on the knobby part of your elbow but at the sides and squeeze gently. If even light pressure causes sharp pain, you probably have inflammation and possibly tendinitis.

Please use steroids as your last ditch effort for relief. You will be reducing your chances of bone destruction down the line for yourself if you do. Rest, heat or ice (depends on which you tolerate the best, individuals vary)  Ibuprofen or another NSAID and use of an elbow brace is what I've always used. It takes a while to knock down and get under control and you have to be persistent with it. Good luck. I know it hurts!

• Like 1

Go and get yourself a theraband flex bar.  People have been seeing great results from using it.

Also, read up as much as you can about tennis elbow.  There are tons of free articles and advice over at tenniselbowtreatmenttips.com

Let me tell you from personal experience that tennis elbow is not a condition you take lightly.  Catch it early and you can recover quickly.  Otherwise you are looking at a long a painful road not to mention no riding at all.

Good luck

Gary

update (not that I'm expecting anyone to care!)...going to chiro/therapist to get a diagnosis next week and maybe some treatment.  no improvement (I have not tried all of the suggested remedies but it is not getting better on its own at all - maybe because I keep using my arm and unknowingly reinjuring it but I'm not sure.

thanks again for all the suggestions - I'm taking some of them to the doctor with me for input.

My doctor has me wear a wrist brace, to immobilize the wrist. Apparently, with the wrist immobilized, it alleviates the strain on the elbow tendons/ligaments. Or something like that.

I've had very good luck with that.

Tendonitis is an inflammatory condition. Control the repetitive motion that is causing the inflammation and reduce the inflammation, either from NSAIDS and rest or in the worst case scenario, steroidal injections and you will control the condition. Once the inflammation subsides talk to your doctor about what sort of protective brace you need to be wearing on your elbow to prevent the condition from reoccurring.

I'm a little bewildered on how ultrasound would cure tendonitis. We have an ultrasound tank that we use for cleaning small engine parts. On the times I have had to put my hand in it while checking the progress of something being cleaned, I've come away with my joints aching from the high frequency vibrations. Can't imagine putting a hot, tender elbow down into it.

Good question. It increases blood flow into/out of the joint cartilage where blood doesn't typically get to very well. This allows the body to naturally reduce the swelling and bring in healing blood flow. Because it pinpoints the heat at one spot only, deep in the joint, it doesn't heat the whole area (increasing swelling), but only the joint you are ultrasounding.

My hubby's tendonitis took 1 or 2 treatments a day for about a week, and that did the trick. This was recommended by his doctor, by the way, but we bought one instead of paying a therapist $100 a session. We've both used it on joint issues over the past few years, and it works like freakin' majic.

I don't think the medical tool and the tank cleaner work quite the same way, but not sure about that.

Tennis elbow is an odd duck.  Around 10 years ago I woke up with it one morning, just out of the blue.  Tried all the usual stuff mentioned here for around a year or so, then one morning I woke up and it was gone. :applause:   Hopefully you'll have the same luck, only quicker.