Sign in to follow this  

mods to make a yz125 woods bike HELP!

Hey everyone! I have a 2002 Yz125 and I want to see what I would need to buy/work on to make this a good woods bike. I can do my own mechanical work so if there is aything I would need to work on I can do. Thanks guys!

Edited by gurter

If you plan on doing trails longer than 30-35mi then you'll need a larger gas tank. If you plan on riding single track than you'll probably want bark busters. You can list tons of other things but those are the 2 things you may actually need.

The best money you can spend is a woods revalve from a reputable suspension company.  I have two YZ 125s set up for woods.  One has low hour stock SSS suspension and one has been revalved by Factory Connection.  There is simply no comparison, and everyone who has ridden the two bikes agrees (and most people are usually shocked at the magnitude of the difference).  I'm sure other suspension companies could do the same for you however.  My stock bike will have the suspension sent off probably in the next few months.  

The revalve is of course not really necessary however, and it ain't cheap.  The only thing you really need are bark busters, a pipe guard, and a skid plate. I could go either way on radiator guards.  I have them on my KTM, but not on my YZs.  I have found that Mylars can do really nice repair work quickly.  Some folks don't like pipe guards and keep a spare pipe around.  Cycra has an inexpensive skid plate (see my review in this forum) that works pretty well if you are not in serious rock country.  If you have serious rocks, look elsewhere.  When your chain/sprockets wear out, you could add a tooth or two or three to the rear, depending on your woods conditions.

I also add Scotts stabilizers to my bikes (I just own one stabilizer, but each bike has a mount kit).  This is definitely an optional (and expensive) item however.  It helps me a lot however because of some persistent shoulder injuries, and I have to admit I was surprised at how much it helps the little YZ track in the woods, as the stock bike doesn't really feel like it needs one, but you sure notice it when it is added.

I would just get some handguards and whatever bike protection you think you need, and go from there.  It's a great bike that does not need much to rip in the woods!

Edited by rpt50
  • Like 1

It depends what you want to do.  A stock YZ can be a blast in the woods.  I always run full armor for myself and my bike (full wrap hand guards, skid plate, rad guards, pipe guard). After that it is all personal preference. 

I like a FWW and different gearing and I am trying to get more low end for steeps.  You may or  may not need any of that depending on your terrain and riding ability.  I like the suspension after I softened it up with the clickers, but I have never had a bike with professionally valved shocks to know the difference.

I can get 60 miles out of my stock gas tank. If I were hammering it all the time that would probably be less.

Have you taken it out yet to see what you like or don't like? 

And because its a YZ125 - jetting jetting jetting.

Good jetting helps a ton.  It's the cheapest mod you can make to your bike that makes the biggest difference in performance.

Edited by spiraling
  • Like 1

It depends what you want to do.  A stock YZ can be a blast in the woods.  I always run full armor for myself and my bike (full wrap hand guards, skid plate, rad guards, pipe guard). After that it is all personal preference. 

I like a FWW and different gearing and I am trying to get more low end for steeps.  You may or  may not need any of that depending on your terrain and riding ability.  I like the suspension after I softened it up with the clickers, but I have never had a bike with professionally valved shocks to know the difference.

I can get 60 miles out of my stock gas tank. If I were hammering it all the time that would probably be less.

Have you taken it out yet to see what you like or don't like? 

And because its a YZ125 - jetting jetting jetting.

Good jetting helps a ton.  It's the cheapest mod you can make to your bike that makes the biggest difference in performance.

What do you mean to see what I like or don't like?

What do you mean to see what I like or don't like?

Take it for a ride or two or three and see how you like it.  Is it comfortable? I run bar risers because I like a more upright stance.  The BF likes a more agressive stance, so his bars are lower.

Is the suspension too stiff or too soft?  It will bounce you and kick you around if its too stiff, and feel dead if its too soft.  Only you can determine that. And change it for different terrain.

Is it easy to control? When you roll on the power does it feel crisp?  Is it fast enough? :lol:   Does it handle the slow terrain well?  Are you spinning out a lot? Stalling?

Everyone rides differently and likes different feeling bikes. You'll get a lot of various opinions on here.  Once you've ridden your bike a bit you'll know better what you want to change.  This forum can be very helpful for addressing specific problems and mods needed.  You might like adjusting the jetting and suspension clickers (don't forget to adjust the sag first!), get some hand guards, and have a perfect woods weapon for about $100.  Maybe what you want is a big bore kit, new plastics and graphics, and a revalved suspension.  Now your talking $1000+ .

How much have you ridden?  Is this your first two stroke? Do you ride MX on this bike too?

(and welcome to Thumper Talk!)