Sign in to follow this  

1988 yz 250 electrical nightmare

i picked up this bike and it ran, sort of, i had to roll it down a hill to get it started and i drove it up the street and on the way back it died on me, i figured it was the bad gas or it was out (there was only a splash in it and it was old), got it home and cleaned the carb and put fresh gas in it and nothing, took the spark plug out and no spark, put a different ignition coil on it and nothing, had an extra cdi box laying around and i trired that and nothing, leaving me to beleive its the stator, does anyone know the specs so i can test it, or if you think it is something else, any and all help is very appreciated!

i picked up this bike and it ran, sort of, i had to roll it down a hill to get it started and i drove it up the street and on the way back it died on me, i figured it was the bad gas or it was out (there was only a splash in it and it was old), got it home and cleaned the carb and put fresh gas in it and nothing, took the spark plug out and no spark, put a different ignition coil on it and nothing, had an extra cdi box laying around and i trired that and nothing, leaving me to beleive its the stator, does anyone know the specs so i can test it, or if you think it is something else, any and all help is very appreciated!

Did you try disconnecting the kill switch?

I forgot that part, when I went to go look at it, it had no spark, took the kill switch off and it worked, then I pushed it down the hill to get it started, but since I got it home I have connected and disconnected it several times and it doesn't help,

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

I checked for resistance between the wires and this is what I got

Brown to black .48 kilo ohms

White/red to black .514 kilo ohms

White/red to brown 35.4 ohms

having to pull start usually indicates the stator is on the way out. 480 ohms is to high for that coil,  also if you look close at the one coil the tape has been peeled away a bit.

• Like 1

is there any way i can fix it, or do i have to get a new one or just new coils, if i do have to get new parts where can i get them from

We can rebuild the stator for $125, that might be your only option other than finding a good used one.

We can rebuild the stator for $125, that might be your only option other than finding a good used one.

ive looked for a used one and havent had any lucky, so i would like you to rebuild it, if you would walk me through the steps of sending it you that would great