Sign in to follow this  

Xr650l leaking and blowing oil, need help please

Hey everyone this is my first post so here it goes.

This is my first bike which I bought used in a parking lot, since then I've learned a lot about the bike and have done several things to it already. First I'll give details about the bike. From what I've gathered it has all the smog stuff removed, air box is cut with Kn filter, super trap exhaust. I did an oil change. I've replaced the main jet because it has horrible bogging issues and wouldn't rev over 4k and runs better. The bike has a salvaged title so who knows what kind of abuse it saw, it also sat in a garage for years as the owner slowly died.

The left crankcase cover was cracked previously and repair with some jb weld, it drips oil and smokes. The bike died on me the other day and didn't want to turn back over and sounded terrible when I tried, I stopped trying before some thing worse happend and loaded it back home in my truck. It appears to be out of oil. It smokes out the tail pipe when I get into it and out of the janky crankcase breather filter, the countershaft looks gunked up as well, now it's an oily mess. I researched for hours online and only found horror stories or easy fixes, don't know which one this is......

Being a farmer I'm some what mechanically inclined but don't want to rip everything apart until I absolutely have too. Where is a logical place to start? I have the service manual and a camera to take pictures of it. I think you will all get a good laugh out of how modded it is and the custom flame paint job.

Thanks in advance,

Ryan

flames :jawdrop:

the countershaft seal is easily removed ,,you can drill a small hole in it,,just deep enough to drill through it only,,,no deeper as the bearing is just behind it,,then screw a sheet metal screw in a little ways,,,visegrips on the screw and pull it out...

smoking isn`t good.....and running out of oil is worse,,i think you are going to have to pull the valve cover off and look and see if the rockers and cam are toast....if they are then move down to the cylinder...

if it smokes on heavy acceleration,and the oil wasn`t over filled,you need rings..

B

Edited by brianhare

How do I put the seal back in? Any good videos on YouTube? What about the crankcase breather.

I'll take some pics of the damage, and the flames....

How would I know that they are toasted? I tried to turn it over for maybe a min after it died, once I heard the hammering common sense told me to stop even though I was stranded.. Thanks for the response Brian!

You'd just tap the new seal in with something largish..Use a hammer with a ,,wooden dowel,,large wide metal drift..plainly not a sharp screwdriver. Sounds fairly terminal in the engine department..Not much point worrying about the seal till you get the head cover off and post some pictures of the damage..Could be expensive,,bound to need a rebore and new piston and rings plus whatevers had it in the top end..Brian will tell you when he sees the pictures..He has a new garage so's kinda busy fitting it out I guess..

plus he's close to 50..probably organizing a giant hooley to mark the day..pensioner... :lol:..zimmer frames next.. :rolleyes:

Edited by Horri

How do I put the seal back in? Any good videos on YouTube? What about the crankcase breather.

I'll take some pics of the damage, and the flames....

the seal just taps in flush with a big deep socket..........

B

How would I know that they are toasted? I tried to turn it over for maybe a min after it died, once I heard the hammering common sense told me to stop even though I was stranded.. Thanks for the response Brian!

You heard hammering?????....start ripping it apart and post pics...

B

You'd just tap the new seal in with something largish..Use a hammer with a ,,wooden dowel,,large wide metal drift..plainly not a sharp screwdriver. Sounds fairly terminal in the engine department..Not much point worrying about the seal till you get the head cover off and post some pictures of the damage..Could be expensive,,bound to need a rebore and new piston and rings plus whatevers had it in the top end..Brian will tell you when he sees the pictures..He has a new garage so's kinda busy fitting it out I guess..

Busy...up to my ears Reg......i have the roll up door coming Friday.......i have wiring to finish and installing LED lighting,,it`s gonna be bright :jawdrop:

B

Edited by brianhare

plus he's close to 50..probably organizing a giant hooley to mark the day..pensioner... :lol:..zimmer frames next.. :rolleyes:

Actually......i`m on vacation,,and have been partying for at least a week,it`s getting hard to get up in the mornings as i`m usually up to 3-4am.. :devil:

B

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1407341536.743086.jpg

I know this doesn't help but here's a pic of the bike. I will open up the valve cover and take a picture. Thanks for the advice everyone

Geeezzzzzzzzusssssss.....that scared the hell out of me,,you shoulda posted a warning :facepalm:

:lol:   actually i`ve seen worse...you should see the XR250 in another forum here that the owner

decided red paint was the ticket on.. :jawdrop:

:lol:  :lol: :lol:  

B

It's awesome I know...... I'm gunna put oil in it and cut the fuel and see if she turns over nicely if it sounds bad I'm gunna start tearing into it... Will keep y'all posted

:lol:   actually i`ve seen worse...you should see the XR250 in another forum here that the owner

decided red paint was the ticket on.. :jawdrop:

:lol:  :lol: :lol:  

B

No love for my project! I think it actually came out pretty nice. Maybe I am nuts but hey I am only 22 :ride:

2iu6bf7.jpg

Just need to figure out how to paint the freaking plastic gas tank smh...

:devil:   just teasing,,i knew you find this post sooner or later..just testin your search mojo...it`s my job to razz people,or at least i think it is :lol:

B

• Like 1

So I put two quarts of oil in and fired it up. Without fuel it's was turning good and sounded good. When I let fuel it and got it running it was hammering pretty bad at first but quieted down pretty quickly. It sounds like the valves need to be adjusted, it hammers for several seconds then sounds good then comes back for a few seconds then back to more normal sounding. I'm going to check the valves and the timing.

It is also blowing white smoke out the tail pipe, oil I presume. At idle it doesn't really smoke but when I open the throttle it gets more smokey. It has always smoked whe I rip the throttle, even before I ran it out of oil. I tried to get the valve caps off but they are really stuck on there, they aren't reverse threaded are they? Do any of your have a good link for how to adjust the valves and timing, the service manual isn't very specific. Hopefully I can get here caps off and get the valves dialed and that will cure the hammering and smoke out the pipe.

I got the sprocket off too and the seal behind it looks dandy.

I'm hoping I didn't do too much damage to the poor bike I had 8 of the 10 valve cover bolts off but didn't have a ratchet with low enough clearance to get the last two.

Any other things to check or test?

Thanks y'all

The other two bolts you can't get out before you pick up the cover a bit and tilt it away from the center of the frame. I am assuming the two bolts you could not get out are the 10mm large one right in the center and one of the 8mm right at the front near the header pipes. Pretty sure you need to get the rest out, loosen those last two.. lift the cover and tilt it to one side. Then you can pick out those last two. Not sure if this is what you are referring to but I am pretty sure it is the only way to get those bolts out of the cover with it still in the frame.

Nope those caps are not reverse threaded. Same size as the large nut on the rear wheel. Whatever it is in metric there is a close equivalent in English sockets that I use. Slap it on a foot long breaker or if the P.O. didn't over torque it a regular length 1/2 inch drive should work..

The exhaust valve cap on the right hand side of the bike (using convention clutch cover = right side.. your right as you sit on bike) is hard to fit a socket with a driver on because it hits the regulator. You can use a large adjustable but I broke that cap trying to un torque it that way before so be careful.

Like B said might as well pull the whole cover before you worry about those nuts to set the lash. Probably have bigger fish to fry in the meantime. Enjoy!

Edited by Alex DeFreitas