Sign in to follow this  

Sound when low rpms

Hi guys, I don't know if i'm at the right place for this i'm new to this community (and dirt bikes in general)

I've posted a video and I wonder if you can help me identify or get rid of the sound comming from the drivetrain when i'm at low rpms and accelerating.
Looks like the sound of a slack chain but it is properly thighted as said in service manual (40-50mm of slack)

Maybe I just freak for no reason (i'm that kind of guy with my new toys) but this sound really annoy me. If you need another video or anything more just tell me!

Thanks (i'm out and dreaming here [post=http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/1046724-2012-rmz450-build-from-stock-to-full-on-race-bike]http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/1046724-2012-rmz450-build-from-stock-to-full-on-race-bike[/post])

Its def your chain... its contacting metal somewhere. Take a close look. It will be pretty obvious. 

My first guess would be your chain guide is worn.

Edited by BDubb106

What Dubb said, check the top and bottom of the swingarm for wear makes, it probably has started chewing it. If you don't like that noise run a quality Oring chain, I run really light chains and they clack like hell

• Like 1

Yea... I probably should have mentioned it but what Rot and myself were talking about is the fact that the stock guide block and slider are like butter. My slider was worn through in less than 10 hours and my guide block had a nice chunk missing from the top. 

If you have not replaced them yet, you are probably past due. A quality aftermarket piece will outlast the stock stuff by a rather large margin.

I've changed my chain block and chain slider at the start of the summer. See pictures below

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1407360268.139946.jpg

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1407360282.756059.jpg

But my chain is very rusty from this winter standing in the garage, don't know why my buddy did the samething as me (nothing) but his is clean.

I plan changing it. Any recommandation? Lot of sand and gravel. Should I change my sproket too?

The chain rollers seems to be a bit used too.

Changing chain rollers, chain and sproket is what I see that will solve my sound problem (if it's really a problem)

Thanks again! Have a good ride

Since you are not racing or riding MX I doubt you care about a few oz. worth of weight savings. I would suggest Ironman sprockets and an Xring chain. That combo will last you FOREVER!