Sign in to follow this  

showa inner cartridge leaking oil

what would cause the inner cartrige on a 2003 showa crf fork to leak.  is there a seal or bushing that goes bad and needs to be replaced?

There are two seals contained in an assembled cartridge. One at the top and one at the bottom. Both can go bad. Is this something you're looking to fix yourself?

There are two seals contained in an assembled cartridge. One at the top and one at the bottom. Both can go bad. Is this something you're looking to fix yourself?

Yes this is something I would do myself. Where would I buy those seals?

If you're replacing the actual cartridge rod seal, you'll have to drill out the four peens that keep the seal head from backing out.

Here is a good tip that will save you replacing parts that are not required. 

If the cartridge is just low, meaning the rod is not returning and the cylinder is full of air then its most likely your bottom seal.  If the rod is sucked into the cartridge and has to be physically pulled out and then sucks back closed on return it is most likely your top seal.

The top seals fail at about a 4:1 ratio to bottom seals.  If you liberally apply grease on the threads the rod will slip through the bottom seal easily, and prevent damage.

Hope that helps!

• Like 2