Sign in to follow this  

oil leak around spark plug o-ring

there is a guy  who is new to riding . he has a 2010 kx250f started leaking oil around the top gasket on the left side he asked me for help so we put some silicone around the gasket stopped leaking around the gasket now it is leaking around the o ring around the spark plug . also it pops real bad when he lets off the throttle and when he took it for a test run  the exhaust header was cherry red . any ideas would be greatly appreciated

there is a guy  who is new to riding . he has a 2010 kx250f started leaking oil around the top gasket on the left side he asked me for help so we put some silicone around the gasket stopped leaking around the gasket now it is leaking around the o ring around the spark plug . also it pops real bad when he lets off the throttle and when he took it for a test run  the exhaust header was cherry red . any ideas would be greatly appreciated

well not sure on the popping. Which gasket leaks on the left??? Cylinder,Head or cam cover??? The o-ring problem is solved by getting a 2013 or 2014 o-ring

• Like 2

I just put a bit of silicon sealer on the orings and they dont leak.

Popping is probably because the bike is running lean can be -

Blocked pilot circuit

Pilot jet too small

Oring missing from Fuel screw

Fuel screw adjusted too lean

Air leak on intake manifold rubber

Air leak on hot start plunger 

Hot start plunger stuck open 

O ring on slide plate in carb not sealing 

Slide plate in upside down

Carb housing worn so leaking past slide 

• Like 1

Shawn did a nice job covering the bases for popping.  Cherry red header + popping leads me to suspect an imperfect seal between the head and head pipe and/or an imperfect seal at the midpipe joint.  Simple fix is to take the header off and replace the copper crush gasket.  Tighten the head pipe to the head first, then tighten the midpipe joint.  That ought to do it.  The o-ring fix is easy, too.  there are two of them.  One between the cam cap and head, and one on top of the cam cap.  Just get new ones and pop them in.

Thanks guys , it is nice to be able to get on TT and ask question and have them answered so quickly . i am new to TT and i am thinking there should be regional rides throughout the United States so members of TT could ride together .

20131128_134022.jpg

Thanks guys , it is nice to be able to get on TT and ask question and have them answered so quickly . i am new to TT and i am thinking there should be regional rides throughout the United States so members of TT could ride together .

Send me a plane ticket and i will join you for a ride  :ride: