Sign in to follow this  

How to boost local MX rider count?

Our local series is really down from 200 riders to around 100 for the last few years.We have lost a few tracks due to low turn out.Is this a national trend?Any suggestions on how to turn this around the mini classes are still pretty big.We have some great local tracks all within 200 miles of Memphis.

The best way to boost turn out is to offer better prizes and get better support. Our local scene is red hot right now. Some of the biggest crowds I have seen in quite a while. Lots of prizes, better prizes, and lots of money going back to the riders. Some examples of prizes offered in our series are gift cards to local shops, free suspension tunes, free tires, fuel, clothing, gear, cash, etc. You get the idea. Even non MX related businesses are participating. It goes full circle. The riders will come and spend their hard earned cash if they know there is a chance at getting something better than a plastic trophy that will sit in the back of the closet.

Well, what are the big contributors? Poor economy and increased cost of living. Increased barrier to entry to the sport for average families due to the four stroke "revolution". Increase in sound complaints around many local tracks...AMA/manufacturer politics... 

Let's get some of those worked out and numbers will increase. 

Edited by Kenpo1
  • Like 1

I'll add that the modern MX track is getting too technical.  Make or break doubles and triples are scaring off lots of riders and sending them to the woods to race harescrambles or just to trail ride.  I'd love to race some MX, but in order to be competent at it, I'd need some coaching and a place to practice more than once or twice a month and I can't afford that (money or time).  If there were some tracks that were more old school flowing Grand Prix style tracks with table tops and gradual singles that launched you out instead of up, I would race those tracks.  I'm sure there are tracks like that, but they are not common.  

I also agree that the economics play into it big time.  It is getting a lot more expensive to race and it's not just the bikes.  Everything is more expensive from tires, to chains and sprockets, to riding gear, to fuel and oil.  Gone are the days when you'd actually get several races out of a tire.  As we've chased increased performance from our tires, we've lost the durability.  And with the increased technicality of the tracks, we're throwing big money at suspension now that we didn't use to.  It's really interesting to look at dirtbike mags from the early '90s.  Most bike reviews were about what clicker setting and jetting to use on your stock bike.  Now it's about which suspension tuner you're going to use and what exhaust system you're going to bolt on.

• Like 1

The magazines need to stop putting ideas about hop ups in kids brains. Just went to Loretta Lynn national. The guys were telling me how in the past the pros would ride a few laps for exhibition on TOTALLY STOCK new models to showcase them. They'd rip the track up on them, clearly going faster. My buddy's comment was, "and all these kids today think they need a new pipe to go faster".

Long live old Dirt Bike magazine, Super Hunky, and honesty!

Edited by DR.billZ
  • Like 1

One thing that really turned me away from mx is paying $10 to get in, $25-30 to race and getting two laps for practice and 4 laps per moto. That's BS. I went and started racing in the woods for 1.5 hours for the same or less money.

• Like 1