Sign in to follow this  

Rear Sprocket Shock Removal: XL185

Hi folks, I wonder if someone knows how to remove the four rubber shocks pressed into the wheel that the sprocket goes into?  Help to: longyard@ix.Netcom.com would be very appreciated!

Are they #3 in the picture?

The rubber can become stuck to the wheel, making them hard to remove. Work the small red nozzle from a can of WD40 between the rubber bushing and its hole in the hub. The WD40 will help break them loose. Then I think I'd just grab them with a pair of needle nose pliars and pull them out.

XL185 wheel.JPG

Yes, those are the parts.  Thank-you for the idea.  I'll try it this weekend! :ride:

on the bit of the hub closest to the axle, NOT the thin side, you hammer a screw driver down the side between the steel outer sleeve of the bush and the hub alloy. this crushes the steel inwards and the bush then pulls out. Stay away from the thinner area of the alloy!!!! i have seen the rubber burnt out with a gas plant but it still leaves the bush's steel outer to be removed and crushing it is the only way i have seen this extracted. on the hub, you come in from the area closest to the bearing.

dont hold me responsible for your f#@k ups, i have said twice to stay away from the thinner alloy around the hub exterior!!

new ones tap in with a hammer

cheers

sorry but i forgot to mention that this system has been used by honda from the days of the Sl100/ SL125 and i have done it this way since 1975.

even the xr200rb/c/d used this system with 5 bushes!

I would have new bushings in hand before removing the old ones.

Yes, Honda has used that hub to reduce the shock of chain lash when riding on pavement.

Not sure if the Aussie XR400 has the rubber mounted Cush hub or not. The American XRs do not.

Your question has probably been answered a hundred times on XL, SL, and CB forums. Google is your friend. Less brutal is better for hubs and bearings.

Edited by Kev_XR

Thanks everyone.  I do have new bushings on hand, and I was able to get out the old ones by drilling down into the rubber with a hole saw.  This then released the inner steel core.  I used a nail set and chisel to bend in and lever out the outer shells.  The whole operation took 90 minutes.  I'm doing this only because I want to powder coat the wheel, and I can't do that with rubber in the wheel.  Powder coating requires a 400 degree F temperature, and neoprene gets smokey at that temperature and releases gases in the coating oven that could actually explode. 

THANKS SO MUCH TO ALL who have offered their advice and experience.