Sign in to follow this  

best radiator brace the best?

The previous owner installed Flatland Racing radiator guards on my 2004 CRF250X.  I like them a lot. :)  I was also pleased to discover I could continue to use them after I installed my oversize Chinese radiators.   :thumbsup:

http://www.flatlandracing.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=FR&Product_Code=12-24&Category_Code=Honda12-

12-16.jpg

Spud :)

I user Devol guards as they have a very solid brace that is part of the design. They were a bit of a pain in the a$$ to install as there is a lip on the shroud the guys at Devol recommended I trim. I don't like cutting my bike, so I got longer bolts with some washers and after some grunting I got them on. I have ridden with them a few times and no issue with heating as I did not install the fins over the guards. If you need help with install or images, let me know.

I user Devol guards as they have a very solid brace that is part of the design. They were a bit of a pain in the a$$ to install as there is a lip on the shroud the guys at Devol recommended I trim. I don't like cutting my bike, so I got longer bolts with some washers and after some grunting I got them on. I have ridden with them a few times and no issue with heating as I did not install the fins over the guards. If you need help with install or images, let me know.

they look a bit thin ,,, im not too concern about things getting trough them .. its more about lateral support

The previous owner installed Flatland Racing radiator guards on my 2004 CRF250X.  I like them a lot. :)  I was also pleased to discover I could continue to use them after I installed my oversize Chinese radiators.   :thumbsup:

http://www.flatlandracing.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=FR&Product_Code=12-24&Category_Code=Honda12-

12-16.jpg

Spud :)

I also highly recommend these. Very sturdy laterally and also have front protection.

they look a bit thin ,,, im not too concern about things getting trough them .. its more about lateral support

I bought them because of the reviews on rockymountainatv and bikebandit. I looked around to find the best option - I was not disappointed when they arrived. They seemed pretty study to me. There were some reviews about guys saying they had to bend them back after a fall. Personally, I thought that was their job - to take the impact. I believe this all has to do with the way you ride. I'm not a fast rider, so the most I need to to protect is from falling over and the rocks and dirt thrown up from my faster friends in front of me. For me, they work great and worth the money.

Another vote for the Flatland Racing units here.  They have saved my rads from countless falls.  I even pretzeled one of them in a particularly bad fall to the side (pic attached of both rad and guard).  Due to a rock sticking up, the only thing that hit was the radiator guard so it took all of the weight/momentum.  They were so bad I couldn't even turn very far to that side due to triple clamp interference.  The radiator came away without so much as a mark.  I simply removed the bent unit, pounded it back in place, and re-installed.  I also run the stock plastic air diverters per Rick Ramsey's suggestion.  Stock radiators on the bike.

On a related note, I use their engine guard too.  I found somewhere where you could get the set shipped to your door for something like $180 so I jumped on it.  They have been removed and pounded out with a sledge hammer, or the wings bent back with a pipe wrench after some particularly nasty abuse (usually all really slow speed stuff).  One of the welds is starting to fail, but it has been bent and re bent so many times I likely work hardened it.  Nice mount system.  You can change the oil with it on, but it's pointless as I change the tranny at the same time and that makes a mess with it on.

I tend to crash a lot as I am just getting back into Moto after a 28 year hiatus.  Being a mountain biker I often goes places and get over my head, and the bike takes a lot of the abuse.  Probably more abusive than most.

IMG_1270.jpg

IMG_1269.jpg