Sign in to follow this  

1994 Suzuki JR50 Oil Injector or Premix?

I just picked up a 1994 JR50 for my grandkids. The bike has seen some use over the years but still starts and runs. One of the previous owners removed the oil injector tank and plugged the port going into the engine case. That is all the info I have on this bike.

Like I said it starts, but I am reluctant to run it without first knowing if the oil injector system is required or if I can just run premix. I have searched the web and there seems to be no definitive answer to this question. The local Suzuki shop said that it was designed to run with oil injection, so I need to do it that way. Suzuki USA won't comment one way or the other. Online forums run the gamut from "never run a JR 50 on premix--mine seized in minutes!" to "one of the first things I did was take off the oil injector because it makes the bike run too rich--been fine with only premix fuel for almost 20 years." Some folks say the oil injection system directly lubes the main bearings. Other folks say that is incorrect and the oil is injected into the fuel system. And on and on...

All I want to know is whether or not premix only (no oil injection system connected at all) is A-OK on this bike and, if so, what should the fuel/oil mix ratio be?

Anybody out there with some experience and first hand knowledge in this matter?

Much appreciated!

You can run premix. My sons 2000 JR50 has had the oil pump plugged and tank removed for sometime and we have been mixing 32:1 with golden spectro.

If you don't' have the parts, run premix. However, it's never a good idea to remove an oil-injection system. They work flawlessly for ages, use almost no power (you'd have to pull out a calculator to measure it.) and require nearly zero maintenance. Leave these alone people, they're stone cold reliable and are engineered to provide more lubrication when your bike needs it and less when it doesn't, unlike pre-mix where you give it as much oil as it needs at the far end of the spectrum all the time.