Sign in to follow this  

It just died

Hey there, I have a brand new KTM 500 exc with only 36 hours and I took a recent trip to hollister with the fam and shortly after we unloaded we were on our way to the trail's my bike just died, it didn't sputter, or chug it just stopped, all the electronics still work and the engine still turns over and the fuel pump is pumping but for some reason it just won't fire.

If you can help me at all with the issue that would be great

Thanks, TTr13

Why does this happen so much w new ktms. This is like the 4th time ive heard this recently

Hey there, I have a brand new KTM 500 exc with only 36 hours and I took a recent trip to hollister with the fam and shortly after we unloaded we were on our way to the trail's my bike just died, it didn't sputter, or chug it just stopped, all the electronics still work and the engine still turns over and the fuel pump is pumping but for some reason it just won't fire.

If you can help me at all with the issue that would be great

Thanks, TTr13

Clean fuel injector. Mine has done this 3 times and every time it was clogged injector. Invest in a fuel sock for your tank to keep small particles from getting in there during fill ups.you also may need to clean your small inline filter.

If it didn't sputter or chug or race up or anything like that before it died i'd be surprised if its a fuel issue. But, obvious checks are to drain fuel, check inline filter, check plug/plug wires for sparky.

It had a full tank of fuel it's getting spark but I'll be sure to check the fuel injector

Thanks

-TTr13

Simplest thing to do is remove the little fuel filter and try it then. That will tell you if its clogged or not. Should take no more than 10 seconds to do. 

Simplest thing to do is remove the little fuel filter and try it then. That will tell you if its clogged or not. Should take no more than 10 seconds to do. 

also check that the fuel line quick disconnector is seated fully,take it apart and push it back on until you hear a "click"

This is a very quick thing to do.  However, be aware that the filter is TINY TINY.  Don't loose that thing!!!

CADman_KS

takes me a little more than 10 seconds to get to that thing, but when I do go there I always just install a new one since I'm there anyways.

Why does this happen so much w new ktms. This is like the 4th time ive heard this recently

Welcome to the new world my friend. It isn't KTM specific. It is fuel injection specific. You realize an injector is meant to spray a "fine" mist. Introduce that injector to dirt or contamination of any kind and that mist will either A) stop or B) piss like you on cheap 3.2 beer. I'm not bashing injection, but it operates in a very fine tolerance.

That being said I find it funny that folks running injected bikes don't look at the source of most of their headaches. Their friggin gas can! That thing needs to be sterile! Not left banging around the back of your truck for 10 years with a 1/4 inch of sludge in the bottom of it. 9 times out of 10 YOU are your own worst enemy. Euro or Jap has zero to do with it.

• Like 2

Hezz, I know this is gonna come back to haunt me, but I only use one can (bought new with bike) for gassing the 500 and it has two filter screens and I use a sock for the tank since I switched to a new tank. I have not had an injector issue or inline filter issue or any fuel issue since I bought it almost three years ago and like you, I only mostly ride dusty desert. Crap, I said it... Damn thing better fire up in the morning. :-)

PO, Keep us apprised of your progress in eliminating possible issues.

So I took it to the dealership and they said all they had to do whas charge the battery and the bike ran, the only problem with that is, the bike whas running when it died, the alternator should have been taking over, they said they tested it and it was workiong fine so I'm just slightly confused on the matter

-TTr 13

Yea , weird cause it was turning over. What was their explanation

Edited by bin007

The battery went bad on Ryan Dungey in the middle of a race and the bike quit causing a DNF so that can happen... But if the bike was still turning over with the electric starter then that doesn't seem like the cause. I guess you'll find out on the next ride.

So I took it to the dealership and they said all they had to do whas charge the battery and the bike ran, the only problem with that is, the bike whas running when it died, the alternator should have been taking over, they said they tested it and it was workiong fine so I'm just slightly confused on the matter

-TTr 13

Yeah right.

I have a feeling , you'll be back at the dealer. THe engine turning over says it wasn't a battery issue, cause that uses the most load and amperage draw , so if it can do that it aint the battery. More than likely all your starting attempts discharged the battery and that's what they recharged.

I don't know the ktms electrical design, some bikes will not run without a working battery at all, however yours doesn't sound like a battery issue by your statements. Maybe you have some kind of flakey other electrical issue. Like a source coil or something. I guess the next ride will tell all.