Sign in to follow this  

Good beginner bike? (gasgas ec200 vs kawasaki kdx 200)

I am going to start off by saying I am 6'2" and 230 pounds. My dad has told me that a 125 two stroke will suit me perfectly but I am skeptical because of my size and weight, due to this I went on a mission to find 200 two strokes and I found a 2005 gasgas ec200 for 2200 and a 1999 kawasaki kdx 200 for 2300. out of these two bikes which one is better for a big guy with no dirtbike experience. What should I pay for these bikes?? If these bikes are too much then how would 125's fit me?

I DO NOT WANT A FOUR STROKE DUE TO REBUILD COSTS, I ALSO WILL NOT HAVE THE MONEY TO UPGRADE FOR A FEW YEARS AND AM NOT THROTTLE HAPPY.

The KDX is really the perfect bike for what you want to do- light, sturdy, decent top and bottom end power.

GasGas is a fairly rare make so parts can be hard to locate and expensive, especially for an older one like you are considering. They are a good quality bike though and more race oriented than the KDX. Both will go plenty fast or slow as well.

I'd rule out a 125 for you unless it's for MX only, they don't run well unless pinned wide open.

Your prices are laughably high for my area. A nice last generation KDX around here is in the $1500 range. The most I'd ever expect to pay for one in showroom condition is $2000.

But Canadians pay more for bikes. Keep a close look on your internet and printed classifieds and compare prices.

Maybe look into bigger 2 strokes also. Like husky wr360s I know are pretty easy to ride because of lots of low and mid torque. You say no dirtbike experience but I don't know if you can ride a bike or not. Just something to consider.

Thanks for the replies guys. I expected the guy was asking a lot for his kdx and I will try and knock him down on the price, if he won't budge then I will look at the gasgas (which are extremely popular in canada believe it or not) and comes with extra plastics and headlight. If those fail I might just have to get a 250 four stroke.

Thanks for the replies guys. I expected the guy was asking a lot for his kdx and I will try and knock him down on the price, if he won't budge then I will look at the gasgas (which are extremely popular in canada believe it or not) and comes with extra plastics and headlight. If those fail I might just have to get a 250 four stroke.

Don't misinterpret what Sandlvr is saying. $2300 is overpriced for the KDX where he lives. Up here it's a decent asking price if the bike's in good shape.

• Like 2

I am going to start off by saying I am 6'2" and 230 pounds. My dad has told me that a 125 two stroke will suit me perfectly but I am skeptical because of my size and weight, due to this I went on a mission to find 200 two strokes and I found a 2005 gasgas ec200 for 2200 and a 1999 kawasaki kdx 200 for 2300. out of these two bikes which one is better for a big guy with no dirtbike experience. What should I pay for these bikes?? If these bikes are too much then how would 125's fit me? I DO NOT WANT A FOUR STROKE DUE TO REBUILD COSTS, I ALSO WILL NOT HAVE THE MONEY TO UPGRADE FOR A FEW YEARS AND AM NOT THROTTLE HAPPY.

ok dude you probably only know this by research which is incorrect. A 125 2 stroke would be good except youre too big for one. A 250 2 stroke has too much power for someone with no experience and so does a 200 2 stroke. FOR SOMEONE WITH NO EXPERIENCE WITH DIRT BIKES GET A 4 STROKE! Get a WR250/450F. Not a performance engine if you're not wanting to rebuild every so often. My YZF is a pain with rebuilds BUT my TT-R230 which is a trail bike if you treat it right runs fine. I havnt had to do anything major yet! Ive had it for three years! If you do preventative maintenance then you won't need to rebuild a non-performance engine almost ever.

there is wr 250's in my area and when they do show up they are not in my price range (04's end up being around $3000) and I have a price range of $2500. there is an 05 kxf 250 in my area for $1700 but I've heard they have a tendency to be ... unreliable. Srry I am stuck with a 200 2 stroke because of the rebuild costs and buying prices. EDIT: I just checked the rebuild costs on an 05 kx250f and it as outrageous as I thought probably going to look in to it

Edited by BackWoodsupNorth

^^^^^meh,

The first dirt bike I owned was a cr250, mind you I had some experience before I started riding full time. If you got good clutch and throttle control, heck, buy a 500 2t;)

I'm on Vancouver island and got my 220 for 1800, she is mint too, but like anything cool(guns, bikes, booze) in Canada, we always pay more than our southern cousins, isn't free trade grand!!!

ok dude you probably only know this by research which is incorrect. A 125 2 stroke would be good except youre too big for one. A 250 2 stroke has too much power for someone with no experience and so does a 200 2 stroke. FOR SOMEONE WITH NO EXPERIENCE WITH DIRT BIKES GET A 4 STROKE! Get a WR250/450F. Not a performance engine if you're not wanting to rebuild every so often. My YZF is a pain with rebuilds BUT my TT-R230 which is a trail bike if you treat it right runs fine. I havnt had to do anything major yet! Ive had it for three years! If you do preventative maintenance then you won't need to rebuild a non-performance engine almost ever.

A kdx200 makes around 36hp at the crank. Most 125s make low/mid 30s hp at the crank. The difference is negligible

thnx for the help man, but now that I have learned that maintaining a four stroke is not as expensive as I thought and my parents are willing to lend me some money I have primarily been thinking about an 06 crf250x for 2800 and an 08 sx250f for 3000 which one might be a better deal/pick? and don't worry the KDX is still on my radar!

A kdx200 makes around 36hp at the crank. Most 125s make low/mid 30s hp at the crank. The difference is negligible

kdx makes more bottom end power, but 125s mx 2 strokes have better suspension

Hey guys I found a 2007 rmz 250 for 2900 about $400 dollars worth of gas away from (a 2 hour drive instead of 8 hours) so far it looks like I am going to get that due to the convenience of a 2 hour drive. Are these solid bikes? The guy claims that it was rebuilt in 2012 and his son only took it for 6 rides and went to university.

No.

Didn't you just state for logical reasons you didn't want a 250f?

Get a KDX if you can find one, it's the perfect bike for what you're looking to do with it. 

peak HP is about useless to describe a bike's "power", though. 125s have a really narrow powerband. bikes with wider power bands are easier to ride. low-end torque, which 125s typical have none of, is important.

not that a KDX200 is a low-end torque monster.

if the OP could find a KDX220, that would be a better choice. wider powerband with much more low end torque...makes it a lot easier to ride.

Any kdx is rare in manitoba gasgas's are sold more frequently here. And anyway's it look's I might end up getting a 07 rmz 250 Are these bad bikes?

nah those are great bikes! Seriously just take care of em. But they don't have as much power as my yamahaulass 250f. Hahaha