Sign in to follow this  

14' rear shock settings...

I've got my 14' dialed in pretty good, went with a 5.4 shock spring and left the front stock, just had to soften it up a bit (Im 175lbs). But I noticed that during my last time out that the rear was kicking up pretty good thru the whoops, should I turn the rebound in on the shock? I want to slow down the rebound, correct?  I've also heard that stock suspension comes with lots of valving and because of it, it may be better to back out the rebound? Btw Sag is at 103-104mm,

Was it difficult to change the rear spring? I have to do it and just curious because that's one thing I've never done or had to do.

Kicking in the whoops can be a couple different things. It depends on where it's happening. Too hard of a compression setting will cause it to kick. You'll usually feel this entering whoops and on square edge hits. It will be brutal feeling in chop like brake and acceleration bumps as well.

Too slow of a rebound can cause the rear to kick after it runs through its travel further into the whoops. The shock packs because it can't rebound fast enough to follow the ground and runs out of travel then kicks. This can be a side to side kick as well.

Unfortunately it can kick from the other end of the adjustment as well so you really need to identify when it is kicking out and try adjustments accordingly. Good luck

I did the same to my '14 recently, but haven't had a chance to ride it yet.  You can remove the spring from the bottom of the shock by removing the linkage.  The hardest back is the getting at the retaining ring from that position, kind of tedious, but it beats taking off the subframe to remove the shock.

I've got my 14' dialed in pretty good, went with a 5.4 shock spring and left the front stock, just had to soften it up a bit (Im 175lbs). But I noticed that during my last time out that the rear was kicking up pretty good thru the whoops, should I turn the rebound in on the shock? I want to slow down the rebound, correct?  I've also heard that stock suspension comes with lots of valving and because of it, it may be better to back out the rebound? Btw Sag is at 103-104mm,

Where are you running your fork tubes relative to the triple clamps?

At 175 the fork spring is way too stiff. I'd be running a .92 for MX or a .88 for off road. The 5.4 on the rear seems about right. What is your static sag? If its close to 30mm-I'd get a 5.2kg spring. The shock valving isn't bad for MX but will take 10-15 hours to feel right. For the mean time try- sag at 105mm, put clickers at 16c rebound anywhere from 8-14 out. 2 turns out high speed. This shock has very little to no bleed. By opening up the high speed it will allow rear to settle and give some bleed. The compression at 12-16 clicks out will allow the shock to be more comfortable and responsive. Use the rebound to control the rear from kicking. I start around 14 out and go in until it feels controlled. I run as litltle preload on the fork as possible. The spring already is preloaded and the preload adjuster on the fork adds more. More preload on a spring increases the force/rising rate drastically. For stock valving-i would run the comp out until bottoming occurs (if you can get it to bottom with a 1kg spring). I'd lower the oil on both sides in 25cc amounts until bottoming. What this will do is allow you to ride the spring more than the valving. This bike is way over sprung and overdamped. I had some pror posts with some stacks and spring rates for rider weight and terrain. Some mags and even myself at one time,felt the frame was rigid. Its not- with my current offroad setting,my bike is very forgiving and still has tons of bottoming control. On rock runs,I Dont run the headstay attached to the motor

I made a few calls recently to suspension shops and all of them recommended from .96-1.0 fork springs and 54-5.5 shock spring.  Factory connection was the softest with a .96 fork spring and 5.4 shock spring. PC recommends .98 forks spring and 5.5 shock spring.  I have seen some progress by softening up the comp on the forks and going 1 out from full soft on the preload adjustment.  Forks are flush with triples and sag numbers are good.  I recall 103mm race and 33 free sag. I feel pretty good on the bike, just need to fine tune the shock a bit.