Sign in to follow this  

Cr250 rear wheel on a cr125

If I put a cr250 rear wheel on a cr125 would it take away "noticeable" power with the extra drag and weight? I heard the newer 250 f's come with the same size rear wheel as the 450's. Btw I will be putting in a 144 kit. What are the pros and cons to this mod? The reason I'm thinking of doing this is because of the wider footprint which equals more traction. Anyone have experience with this?

K sounds good.

Also anybody know if a CRF triple will fit an 05' CR125 frame and KYB forks?

I know the triples will mount up to the frame and im pretty sure the forks will mount in the triples

You have a 125 right? Would it be too much to ask if you could measure the fork diameter where the triple clamps onto? I just want to be 100% sure before purchasing.

I'd say do it up, thats what i am going to run. only real difference is 100 versus 110 so only 10mm wider

I just found out the 2014 KTM 125/150sx' are running the 2.15" rims so yeah why not.

Just put a 110 tire on your 125 rim?

I tried that a while back w my 04' CRF250r...it's just not the same w out the proper rim.

• Like 1

You have a 125 right? Would it be too much to ask if you could measure the fork diameter where the triple clamps onto? I just want to be 100% sure before purchasing.

I put my 05 CRF250R triples on my 03 CR125. Used the stock forks and the CRF forks. It's all compatible.
  • Like 1

I put my 05 CRF250R triples on my 03 CR125. Used the stock forks and the CRF forks. It's all compatible.

Thanks! That's the answer I was looking for.

Now I do have the opportunity to get the CRF forks but my suspension guy is voting against that for whatever reasons. 

Now I do have the opportunity to get the CRF forks but my suspension guy is voting against that for whatever reasons.

Maybe he's not comfortable with the dual chamber fork. As far as I know from talking with suspension builders, the CRF-R fork is a high quality piece.

Maybe he's not comfortable with the dual chamber fork. As far as I know from talking with suspension builders, the CRF-R fork is a high quality piece.

I agree about the Showa forks. He's just not comfortable of me mix matching suspension parts on different model/year bikes. I don't see the harm in it as long as the dimensions line up height wise. Triple clamp off-sets are more of a personal thing.

• Like 1

yes go with the SHOWA! dont have a 125 yet but ive got pro circuit clamps off a crf 250 and crf 250 showa b kit going on the bike when I get one. (anyone have a 07 cr 125 for sale?)

I agree about the Showa forks. He's just not comfortable of me mix matching suspension parts on different model/year bikes. I don't see the harm in it as long as the dimensions line up height wise. Triple clamp off-sets are more of a personal thing.

In that case, I see what he's getting at. I have CRF250X forks on one of my bikes and swapped them in my CR125 to see how the bike felt offroad with a proper soft suspension. They were actually harsh! I realized that the 125 is sooo light that it would need a totally custom valve job with the CRF- as in, most likely no previous knowledge base to work from. Suspension guys don't really work this way. They use variations of existing, working setups.

I'll bet your suspension guy is anticipating the hassle, doubtful he'll get you a nice setup on the first try.

I'm sure he'd rather stay with the stock fork in order to have a baseline setting to start from.

• Like 1

Yeah man ive been talking to that guy but 500 miles each way  :banghead:

Well IMO it's a little pricey so maybe talk him down to compensate for the drive and gas and make a fun road trip out of it