Sign in to follow this  

Female Intermediate Rider

So most of the forums on here seem to cover what bike to start with for a short female ride. I am 5'4 and 140 pounds. I have been riding for 5 years. I started on a lot of different loaner bikes (crf 100, crf 150, and crf 230) and I ended up buying a klx 140L. I loved learning on this bike but honestly now I find it lacking in power and suspension. Surprisingly it's also just a tad short and I have trouble fully standing on it. 

I have ridden a Kawasaki 250 and other then the starting and stopping I didn't find it difficult to ride (though admittedly I didn't go crazy). I have also ridden a ktm 105 sx. I think this bike is a little small and I worry about a 2 stroke since I am a trail rider. I do ride intermediate and difficult trails but the harder they get I need to have a bike that is okay going slower speeds. My cousin rides a Kx 125 and suggests I look into a Ktm 200 exc. It seems like this bike will do better in the lower end than most 2 strokes. Any thoughts? Any bike I move up to will have to be lowered at least enough so I get 1 foot on the ground when stopped. Right now I have to completely slide off of the 250's. I'm not interested in a 230, I think I'll run into the same suspension problems as the 140 and its unnecessarily heavy. 

Yeah the 200 2 strokes have a nice bottom end. See if there's a kdx200 like matty said or a 200xc that you can afford

5' 4" daughter started on CRF100F, moved to KX100 (same size at KTM105 XC - which are rare) and then moved to KDX200.  We cut about 1" out of seat and 1" Kouba lowering link and she is on tiptoes.

KTM 200 is another route to go, but probably need to have suspension professionally lowered ($500-$1000) and they are pricier to begin with.  Finding a smaller, two stroke enduro/offroad bike for women is difficult.  I think it is an unserved part of the market.

One other possibility is CRF150RB (much better suspension, brakes and power than your KLX140L) with a Rekluse clutch (since they dont come with a wide ratio transmission).

Sorry there are such limited options for you....went through this with my daughter.

Another approach is KX fork conversion on KLX140L, Longer travel rear shock, Exhaust mods, carb mods, big bore upgrade (check the KLX forum), but you can get into big money pretty quickly as well.

So most of the forums on here seem to cover what bike to start with for a short female ride. I am 5'4 and 140 pounds. I have been riding for 5 years. I started on a lot of different loaner bikes (crf 100, crf 150, and crf 230) and I ended up buying a klx 140L. I loved learning on this bike but honestly now I find it lacking in power and suspension. Surprisingly it's also just a tad short and I have trouble fully standing on it.

I have ridden a Kawasaki 250 and other then the starting and stopping I didn't find it difficult to ride (though admittedly I didn't go crazy). I have also ridden a ktm 105 sx. I think this bike is a little small and I worry about a 2 stroke since I am a trail rider. I do ride intermediate and difficult trails but the harder they get I need to have a bike that is okay going slower speeds. My cousin rides a Kx 125 and suggests I look into a Ktm 200 exc. It seems like this bike will do better in the lower end than most 2 strokes. Any thoughts? Any bike I move up to will have to be lowered at least enough so I get 1 foot on the ground when stopped. Right now I have to completely slide off of the 250's. I'm not interested in a 230, I think I'll run into the same suspension problems as the 140 and its unnecessarily heavy.

I was thinking the 200 exc since you said trail. Hopefully I can get my KTM 250 exc 2t. Perfect trail 2 smokes! And to the people saying kdx 220/200 imo they look ugly as hell and behave exactly like a 4 stroke.

The 200 exc would be perfect for your needs, especially on trail. Great low end power, not all top end like a mx track 2 stroke. Plus you can order a "short" seat for your height and adjust the foot pegs if needed.

Sounds like you already know the answer! ;)

I put in a kdx3 lowering link ($75)from kaboua(sp?) for my wife(5'6") on my 03 kdx220, I raised the forks in the clamps to lower the front. She could flat foot in her boots. I rode the bike hard for a month like this(wife doesn't want to give up her kx80) before swapping back to stock, it handled and took lots of abuse and recommend this setup for female/short riders.

The kdx isn't as flashy as a new ktm, but for a fraction of the cost you could find a super low hour 04/05. Add some mods to suit you and you are competive in any class....at a fraction of the cost of a ktm ;)

Good luck

Edited by matty86suk