Sign in to follow this  

KLX 250 Won't Start

Hey all,

Picked up an 07 KLX 250 at a bargain price because it won't start.

Before I dig into it. Just chasing some ideas of some experience with the bikes on what might be causing it.

Upon my inspection, the seller said it went one week, and didnt the next. It sounds like it wants to start, but just wont. There is fuel coming out of the overflow as soon as the taps on. 

Checked the coolant and oil, so it doesnt appear to be the head or gasket.

Im a bit of a newby with bikes, but have been tackling some Honda projects. 

The way I look at it, is if there is spark and fuel the bike should go. But I have no clue with anything post 1999 LOL. It looks somewhat advanced in there.

Well usually the first step is to clean the carb, but since it's sparking ( and you''re sure that it is) check the air filter and fuel lines.

• Like 1

OK.. Just an update.

Definately has spark :D 

Got the carb out. little bit of what looks like sand in the bowl, have cleaned it out, but waiting on use of a compressor and some more carb cleaner..

Not knowing how things work with a carb that is vacuum, ive opened her up and had a look. seems relativaly clean up top. Cant get the pilot jet out for inspection/cleaning though. I undo and undo but just stays in there. any tips to get this out? have tried tightening it and trying again, but no go.

Is there coolant coming into the carb at all. or is it straight in straight out?

Because the carb has fuel coming from overflow when the tap is on, does this mean the floats would need adjusting? can anyone tell me the spec its suppose to be as standard?

Cheers

PS. the bottom of my air filter was covered in grease.. not oil.. Grease! Some people!

OK.. Just an update.

Definately has spark :D

Got the carb out. little bit of what looks like sand in the bowl, have cleaned it out, but waiting on use of a compressor and some more carb cleaner..

Not knowing how things work with a carb that is vacuum, ive opened her up and had a look. seems relativaly clean up top. Cant get the pilot jet out for inspection/cleaning though. I undo and undo but just stays in there. any tips to get this out? have tried tightening it and trying again, but no go.

Is there coolant coming into the carb at all. or is it straight in straight out?

Because the carb has fuel coming from overflow when the tap is on, does this mean the floats would need adjusting? can anyone tell me the spec its suppose to be as standard?

Cheers

Sounds like the float is stuck open due to grit in the fuel inlet and the float needle won't seat properly. Are you talking about the fuel screw or the actual pilot jet?

• Like 1

Sounds like the float is stuck open due to grit in the fuel inlet and the float needle won't seat properly. Are you talking about the fuel screw or the actual pilot jet?

to be real honest, im new to carbs. but ill explain it the best I can.

Taking off the float bowl, there is one jet that protrudes which is easy to get out, it also has an 8mm to undo where the needle sits.

Then there is the other one that is sunken in. it is unscrewable, but it isnt coming out. Almost like its been cross threaded previously, and now gone to crap.

Ive been limited on time, so still waiting to get a can of carb clean and some air.. Ill see if I can loosen it enough that it blows out, and make sure the float needle jet thing is opening and closing correctly.

The jet you mention as unscrew-able is probably is the pilot jet which controls the flow of gas at idle. if you can take a fine wire and push it through the jet orifice to make sure it is open. Make sure the wire is smaller than the size of the orifice so as not to enlarge the hole. There is a good chance you will not have to change this jet. As far as the rest of the carb, put it back together in accordance with factory specs. Try to start it. if it works you can then start the process of getting the correct size of jets installed if needed. If it does not, take out the plug and squirt a little bit of gas in the bike. Reinstall the plug and see if it starts. If it does and continues to run chances are it will start after that. If it starts and then dies you still have carb problems.    

• Like 1

Just an update guys.

Got a hold of some carby cleaner, and an air compressor and gave it a great clean. However, I ended up getting the "pilot jet" out with some help from a hair dryer. It appears as though someone has been in there before and made a stuff up. Correct me if I'm wrong but the pilot jet is not about 5mm long and a really open hole. Turns out from what I can see, and why the jet wouldnt come out is that it was swapped with the main jet. The jet screwed into the main jet section is about 15mm long and has a few holes around the outside as it gets thinner. 

Anyways, even though i found this discovery and rectified it the bike still wont go. I got a short loud backfire, just once, and that is it. tried direct injection thru the spark plug hole and still nothing. Ran the battery flat trying this. 

Any ideas at all? Timing? Was that jetting correct in the first place?

I know I can't help but please keep us updated as to what you do to the bike and, hopefully, what you did to get it running...I'm in a similar situation with mine as noted in the thread titled "New to me KLR250 and new to the forum".  I thought I had mine solved and then the timing chain broke...long story short (long version the in thread) and i don't want to take away from your thread, after I replaced all the broken parts, i can't get it to start or even act like it wants to start...so I'm reading every thread possible to come up with ideas...

Best of luck Inais...

I know I can't help but please keep us updated as to what you do to the bike and, hopefully, what you did to get it running...I'm in a similar situation with mine as noted in the thread titled "New to me KLR250 and new to the forum".  I thought I had mine solved and then the timing chain broke...long story short (long version the in thread) and i don't want to take away from your thread, after I replaced all the broken parts, i can't get it to start or even act like it wants to start...so I'm reading every thread possible to come up with ideas...

Best of luck Inais...

Pilot jet must go into the pilot hole the main jet needle goes in the main jet hole followed by the needle jet then the main jet.

Edited by klx250guy

so ive got a bike here that has fuel and spark but wont go. any ideas at all?

Is there a computer chip or some other crazy thing on these?

PS. the bottom of my air filter was covered in grease.. not oil.. Grease! Some people!

greasing the bottom of the filter where it meets the airbox helps form a seal...

so ive got a bike here that has fuel and spark but wont go. any ideas at all?

Is there a computer chip or some other crazy thing on these?

no not like that, it looks like you need to travel down all three paths more in depth, maybe a new set of jets or air filter, but start from the top and start digging piece by peace, save the electronics for last because they are the most annoying and you'll need all the fenders off for that.

Did you find anything inside the carb?

Does the bike sound normal when you turn it over?

Does it start and die with fuel down the cylinder? - (this would be good and would eliminate the electronic tree of problems, but also could be air issues)

New fuel lines/filter? ( check for blockage)

Spk plug colour?

no not like that, it looks like you need to travel down all three paths more in depth, maybe a new set of jets or air filter, but start from the top and start digging piece by peace, save the electronics for last because they are the most annoying and you'll need all the fenders off for that.

Did you find anything inside the carb?

Does the bike sound normal when you turn it over?

Does it start and die with fuel down the cylinder? - (this would be good and would eliminate the electronic tree of problems, but also could be air issues)

New fuel lines/filter? ( check for blockage)

Spk plug colour?

nothing inside carb except a little dirt around the jet the float sits on. fixed that - as well as changed the jets.

bike sounds relatively normal I guess. never owned one before so its hard to tell.

fuel in the cylinder = nothing, not even a start.

Good blue spark, enough to ignite fuel for sure. spark is gapped correct, and clean is its new. 

There is no fuel filter, but i plan on getting one, as well as some new lines.

I did some severe googling last night and come across timing and valve clearing as a possiblility.

Knowing nothing about the top end, I've decided to have a bit of a go at it as i like to learn (dont worry, Ive got hold of a manual online)

Engine at TDC, no gap at all between bucket and roller, on any of the 4. Also both the roller point outward at a slightly different angle.

the timing gears are also slightly different - the dots dont quite line up with the head on the outlet side.

This could be normal, but the manual is vague. says there should be 0.10mm inlets. but no gap makes me worry.

My knowledge is pushed to its limits with this, a bit scared to make the next step so going to make some calls about prices from a shop. Unless anyones got a link for a youtube vid that is for dummies on the KLX? Ive had a bit of a search, but nothing really for this bike.

Cheers for the input everyone. It still might be a carb issue, but I'm telling you i cleaned it up sadie style. only thing I didnt do was float level, but it appears the fuel isnt getting into the chamber, and even direct fuel wont ignite in there, which means no air is getting in either? But its sucking air as u can feel it when ur hand is over the inlet and u crank.

When you check the valve clearances, be sure the piston is on the compression stroke, not the top of the exhaust stroke. 

Ride on

Brewster 

UPDATE:

Valve clearance = Perfect (got a mate that showed me where i went wrong)
Spark = Great

Carb is set to manual specs

Getting fuel, got backfires.. Suspected Magneto timing (as with bikes of old the coils were adjustable - not this one. It all appears ok as its set, no busted magnets or anything like that. the only thing I can find in there is the shaft that the starter gear is on has a spacer/bearing looking thing thats perished a bit, but the still ok as the other end is also bearing/spaced that it keeps it inline and able to move inline and not on an angle. will replace the spacer anyways while I'm in there. 

EVERYTHING is to manual spec. Apart from a few backfires, this girl wont start. Any ideas? 

I have a made that suggested the kill switch sticking.. from my experience, when is kill switch is on, there is no spark? correct?

Was that jetting correct in the first place?

just curious if your 100% sure the carb is proper. did you fix the stripped pilot hole and put in the proper pilot jet? is the jetting stock? stock needle has no adjustment.

Have you drained the old gas out of the carb and let fresh gas in and tried it with a fully charged battery?