Sign in to follow this  

The best fuel for high hp

What's everyone thoughts on this for high horsepower 450s. My bike is 09 450 ron hamp head and cam. Cp 14:1. I run e85 and so far I've managed 65hp and 64hp on two separate dynos on two separate days with jemco up pipe so I'm pretty happy. I have no plans on changing fuel as I think this is probably the best fuel for my use. Only negatives I have is sometimes it can be a bitch to start (igniter fluid helps) and increased fuel consumption but it's manageable.

Only started this thread to get others opinions? Does anyone else think more power can be made with different fuels?

Thanks

You should ask Ron. I believe he's made that much power before and I am pretty sure it wasn't on E85. I think the flat track guys make that much power with his motors, so likely whatever fuel they're running.

wow, personaly I'd be scared to death running that , but Ive never ran that fuel ,personally I'd want some more oct in that thing,I guess if you have no detonation then more power to ya

wow, personaly I'd be scared to death running that , but Ive never ran that fuel ,personally I'd want some more oct in that thing,I guess if you have no detonation then more power to ya

More octane than E85? It's one of the highest octane fuels available!!!

this is a perfect example of speaking about something your not informed about , and sticking it in a public forum , I guess I just assumed the term e85 meant 85 octaine I was shocked to read up alittle and saw its 100-105 octaine , at this point ,I think since this gas is not widely talked about ,here anyways people either don't know it has that kind of octaine , or their staying quiet about it.

I would love to hear more about this fuel in a motorcycle racing envirement,and in a 2t where your mixing oil into it

• Like 1

first thread i ran across says std 2t oil will seperate , Im sticking with my sunoco purple 110 I splash that stuff in all my bikes

I took a video and the camera fell off from vibration haha. Next dyno sesh I will definitely get some footage though.

Ron achieved 66hp with sunaco 112 I think. So I'm in the ball park...

I would think that your injector would be a little small I have kawasakis and suzukis that are to small when they get in the mid 60s for power .I was told there is some very good ELF fuels  that may make more power and be eazyer to start but im not sure of the availability.Its fun racing dynos I love it when they get to the track and a 62-63 hp bike smokes one that shows 70 hp

• Like 1

I was told by the owner of the dyno that I made 64 on that I'll make more on the dyno that made 65 and sure enough that was the case. I'm looking at getting bigger injector at the moment

you never did the dyno video for us   :foul:

so i wont tell you the secret fuel that makes more power  :naughty:

...............and leaves mangled parts behind you.............

sssshhh nitromethane ssssshhhhhhhhhhh

:ph34r:

lol

• Like 1

I wasn't aware e85 was capable of making good power on a naturally aspirated build, good to know.
To the poster asking about two strokes - DO NOT USE e85 in your two stroke without HUGE changes to the entire engine build, pipe, jetting, and head and so on and so on.

My question is like Ron's -  for "perfect combustion e85 requires about 10 parts air to 1 part fuel - and normal gasoline likes about 14.7:1.  We've learned that usually on a 450 it's more like 12.5-13:1 - so how in the heck are you supplying enough fuel????  That would be an increase of 30 percent across the board  - and on high hp builds like yours the stock injector is already getting near it's limit in areas.

Also - I didn't think the power density of e85 was better than gasoline - it just has a higher octane rating potentially allowing more optimized timing and I guess due to larger volume of fuel delivered maybe better intake charge cooling.

And to answer the question - in the US vp mr12 or mrpro6 are the HP kings.  renegade has a solid fuel as well.

It's the higher oxygen content of the E85 that allows it to make a ton of power, not the octane. Stoichiometric AFR for pump gas oil about 14.7 but you can't make power at that AFR, 12.5 is better for max power. Stoich for E85 is 9.5 ish and required richer at max power.

I believe it to be the cooling of the intake charge also I use to run straight menthonol and I believe the good oxy fuels make just as much power.

You will get your video just have some patience haha. Nitro hey... don't think my engine has the strength for that stuff. Nor do I!

I jst looked it up Elf has a distributo in austraila   for the 105 race fuel for bikes its 16.5% oxy that should make some power.