Sign in to follow this  

Pulled over.....Again

Let me start off by saying I am 18 and still live with my parents. So last night I got pulled over for the 3rd time in 3 weeks on my DRZ. 1st time warning, second time ticket and this time the cop gave me a warning if I called them in front of him and told them I got pulled over. Needless to say my mom is sick of the bike and chewed me out and took the tags off when I got home. She is threatening to put it on craigslist. I love riding it but cant afford to keep getting pulled over.

• Like 2

Let me start off by saying I am 18 and still live with my parents. So last night I got pulled over for the 3rd time in 3 weeks on my DRZ. 1st time warning, second time ticket and this time the cop gave me a warning if I called them in front of him and told them I got pulled over. Needless to say my mom is sick of the bike and chewed me out and took the tags off when I got home. She is threatening to put it on craigslist. I love riding it but cant afford to keep getting pulled over.

Possibly there was a "reason" that you were pulled over...  Maybe you need to take a look at that and try to change a couple of things so you don't get pulled over so often.  Just a thought...

• Like 9

Agreed with above. I've had my drz for 6 years. Pulled over once. Hmmmmmmmm. I wonder what the wild card in the equation is????

First of all let me start off by saying you're 18 so you probably have little respect for driving laws and you're at an immature age where consequences to your actions are an after thought. After saying that, what were you pulled over for 3 times? If you live with your parents and you don't obey their rules or public laws, good parents will punish you. If you don't want to get punished either behave on the roads or get a helmet cam to prove in court what you did was not illegal or lastly, move out!  :naughty:

• Like 5

First of all let me start off by saying you're 18 so you probably have little respect for driving laws and you're at an immature age where consequences to your actions are an after thought. After saying that, what were you pulled over for 3 times? If you live with your parents and you don't obey their rules or public laws, good parents will punish you. If you don't want to get punished either behave on the roads or get a helmet cam to prove in court what you did was not illegal or lastly, move out!  :naughty:

This and by you living in your parents house, your tickets can affect their insurance cost also. Take it off-road if you want to ride a little crazy but following the laws on the road will stop you getting pulled over and may save your life. Wow I know I'm old when I just typed that.

• Like 2

that's why kids should have dirt bikes until their brain matures and mind realizes when/where to get a little wild. riding like goon will get you unwanted attention, every time. learn to blend in, and enjoy the occasional back road silliness instead of drifting through the publix parking lot at 6pm.

Edited by ohgood
  • Like 1

Why did they stop you ?

First time for 36 in a 30(warning) 2nd time for 49 in a 40(ticket)going to court for that one to explain that i was behind a woman on the phone riding her brakes 10 under and i sped up to go around her on a 2 lane road. I dont like being behind, in front of or near people on their phones, and he clocked me going past her. And this last time for not using my turn signal that is mounted on the bike. But I used my hand to point. My dad said you can point or use the turn signal wether or not they are mounted. Is that true? and I believe if I never said anything about me being young, many responses would be different as well. And my parents do take the bike every time I get in trouble. And I do respect road laws other than the few few times Im a little over the speed limit. No 100mph runs, wheelies, jumping curbs or anything stupid like that. Oh and I work 2 jobs and go to school so I would consider myself responsible, as would many adults around me. Ive just been having bad luck with the law i guess Edited by SheWantsThe D-RZ
  • Like 3

Basically you were speeding and you got pulled over, seems pretty legit to me... Quit speeding!

As for the hand signal, I'm pretty sure your correct but you have to check your local laws for that one. Should have all been there in the manual...

• Like 2

Whether its a car or motorcycle experience is everything. I think you just need more time on the road in your area and learn when u can speed up a lil and when to go the speed limit. Im in no way a perfect driver but I look out for cops religiously lol. Take an easy on the bike for a while and get your parents of your back. Seems like you may be prone to being targeted in your area on a bike since you've been pulled over 3 times already. I have an mrd ssw and had my bike since march and havent been stopped once and theres cops everywhere in san diego CA

• Like 2

Do you have loud exhaust? Bright graphics?

What's making you stand out? (other than, yeah, you're going a little faster than the limit but near enough 5-10 over *can* get you noticed too).

Give the cop any lip? Respectful? Reasonable and being in no hurry? (If you're pulled over, your time is theirs until they say otherwise).

What was it that you think made you their target du jour?

Getting pulled over for 36 in a 30 is ridiculous, and using hands as a turn signal getting pulled over is ridiculous. Both of those instances it sounds like the cop (same guy?) or cops are harassing you for no good reason. Which is why you didn't get a ticket for those, remember you are INNOCENT UNTIL PROVEN GUILTY in a court of law. Getting pulled over for 49 in a 40 might be hard to get out of, maybe just get the fine reduced. Unless you want to go the hard route and take it to court, say not guilty, hope the cop doesn't show. For a 9mph over ticket the cop might not show, you have a right to face your accuser in the court of law. If he does not show, then case dismissed!

I got "pulled over" two weeks ago. I was sitting on the side of the road, engine off, making some adjustments to my controls. The cop started out with "What are you doing?" in a very condescending voice, like I was up to no good. Not, "Is everything ok?" or "Bike broken down?". Some cops just don't like bikes.

• Like 9

Some of them don't like the looks of the dual sports on the roads. ... I ride in town to commute or whatever and have gotten funny looks till th cops get used to you being a dual sport... (my bike is bright yellow) and my FMF pipe is loud, but never gotten pulled over for any of that.. just watch how you ride and be respectful and maybe if you are they will ease up on you!

Do you have loud exhaust? Bright graphics?

What's making you stand out? (other than, yeah, you're going a little faster than the limit but near enough 5-10 over *can* get you noticed too).

Give the cop any lip? Respectful? Reasonable and being in no hurry? (If you're pulled over, your time is theirs until they say otherwise).

What was it that you think made you their target du jour?

No, Very polite and respectful as he was to me. He was even talking to me about bikes. He told me he got a bike when he was 19, flipped a wheelie on the street and got out of street riding. He did tell me he started following me because he thought i was on a dirtbike( it was dark out ).My gear does kind of stand out though.ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1407344708.856705.jpgand my bike is normal. It does have a loud exhaust but i dont romp on it all the time, not last night either.ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1407344811.861999.jpgAnd for the speeding, i keep up with the flow of traffic and it seems they single me out Edited by SheWantsThe D-RZ
  • Like 1

Let's face it, we all do stuff that will get us pulled over. We just don't get caught most of the time. Even a 6" wheelie can get you busted for careless driving, a HUGE ticket. I had the infamous DRZ475TT when I lived in San Diego, Total hooligan machine! 60hp on tap was temptation that was not to be ignored. I sped, wheelied, ripped around corners, all the stuff that makes you feel alive. Who can ride a bike like a 60 year old woman drives a Camry? I'll admit, I can't. I pick my spots carefully, including where conditions are pretty safe. I care a lot more about not getting hurt or hurting others than a traffic ticket.

• Like 7