Sign in to follow this  

Startup problems DRZ 400

Hello guys,

I own a drz 400 SM 2006 with a Athena Big Bore Kit. Last week when i put the DRZ in the garage after a ride i forgot to pull the keys out of the ignition and left my fuel cock on. After 3 days i noticed it and obviously the battery was dead. I tried starting it with jumper cables to a car. After a few tries i got the engine running. But when i put the choke off or released the gas it would stall. After that attempt it would'nt start. I put the battery in a batterycharger and left it overnight. The next day when i installed the battery it would start but the stall again if i put the choke of or released the trottle. The engine will turn over but when it seems to go on, everything stalled( engine,lights). I replaced the sparkplug thinking this may solve the problem ( I dont know why :S). But this had no effect. Do any of you guys have any suggestions what the problem might be?? And also sorry for my BADDDD english, i am from Holland.

Thnx in Advancee

Allright, i will do that first thing tomorrow. What would that indicate if there is gas in oil? And then what should i do? Just change the oil and filters and keep the petcock on off?

Bad English? You have better English than a lot of people who have spoken it their entire life.

I agree, check the oil for gas, maybe try a different battery, and see what happens. Has it ever had issues before?

What would that indicate if there is gas in oil? And then what should i do? Just change the oil and filters and keep the petcock on off?

Oil over full

Oil Smells like gas

Noticeable quantity of gas missing from tank

Gas in air boot or box

If you suspect lots of gas in the oil change the oil with cheap stuff

Start it if it will run for a few min and change oil and filter

If the motor was hydro locked due to gas in the cylinder and it was then cranked over with a much larger amp battery it is possible the rod was bent in the process

Anytime you suspect fluid may have gotten in the cylinder (fuel, coolant or

Water) remove the spark plug BEFORE the first attempt at cranking over

• Like 1

Allright, Thnx for the suggestions i heading to the local dealer and get me an oil filter. The only issue i had in the past with leaving the petcock on was that liquid was leaking out of the weephole. I think it was gas. It would start after a couple of attempts. So i am gonna change the oil and filter and i will leave an update.

Thnx guys..!! Yesterday i drained the oil.. 3 liters of oil mixed with gas came out. After i changed the oil i ridden the bike for a couple of hours. Luckily i did not had a bent rod.

Again thnx for your help..!!

Thnx guys..!! Yesterday i drained the oil.. 3 liters of oil mixed with gas came out. After i changed the oil i ridden the bike for a couple of hours. Luckily i did not had a bent rod.

Again thnx for your help..!!

You need to fix what caused that to happen or it will just happen again! Get a non vacuum petcock/fuel selector for it. That way it can't happen again. And, I believe there is something that is easily messed up in the CV carb that helps cause that. Can't help with that part as I have not worked on a cv carb drz.

I dont think i have a stock petcock on my bike.. The stock one has 2 positions from what i have read. I have 3 on,of and reserve.. And i read in another post that the fix in the mikuni carb is an O -ring somewhere..

https://www.thumpertalk.com/shop/oem.php?partcategory=777443&manufacturer=5&category=5&year=2006&model=27185

I was looking at the microfiche for the drz carb.. Can you tell me witch O-ring i need to replace.. I never worked on a carb before.. So i would not know where to begin

This is the correct diagram you should be looking at....https://www.thumpertalk.com/shop/oem.php?partcategory=777397&manufacturer=5&category=5&year=2006&model=27185

Item 18 is the needle valve assembly which includes the o ring in question, on here the o ring can only be purchased with the complete assembly....

it wouldn't hurt to replace the complete assembly but you most likely only need the o ring...

You could purchase an o ring from you local auto store..it's size is 8 mm by 1.5 mm or 1/16" by 5/16"

You need to fix what caused that to happen or it will just happen again! Get a non vacuum petcock/fuel selector for it. That way it can't happen again. And, I believe there is something that is easily messed up in the CV carb that helps cause that. Can't help with that part as I have not worked on a cv carb drz.

Absolutely fix the problem by tossing that manual petcock and installing an automatic vacuum operated one so you don't forget the fuel turned on!

(sorry, couldn't resist)

• Like 1

Yeah .....from the OP's initial post turning things "on and off" is an issue all by itself.... :facepalm:

Last week when i put the DRZ in the garage after a ride i forgot to pull the keys out of the ignition and left my fuel cock on. After 3 days i noticed it and obviously the battery was dead.

This is the correct diagram you should be looking at....https://www.thumpertalk.com/shop/oem.php?partcategory=777397&manufacturer=5&category=5&year=2006&model=27185

Item 18 is the needle valve assembly which includes the o ring in question, on here the o ring can only be purchased with the complete assembly....

it wouldn't hurt to replace the complete assembly but you most likely only need the o ring...

You could purchase an o ring from you local auto store..it's size is 8 mm by 1.5 mm or 1/16" by 5/16"

The o ring part number is posted here someplace

On phone today so not going to hunt it down

It's really worth it to buy a whole oring kit if you work on your own bikes. I rarely have to get a oring from a store since I have the set. It does not come with odd sized ones though.

Just to make sure everyone is on the same page, the parts below are for the stock DRZ400 S or SM carb. 

I have a bunch of different metric and SAE 0-rings here and tried them all for the best fit for the needle jet seat o-ring. The best one I found was this one

M1.6x7.1 Viton O-Ring, 7.1 mm ID, 10.3 mm OD, 1.6 mm Width

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005RUQ5E8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

others may fir OK, but Viton is what you want for long term reliability. Oh yeah, I'm not connected to any of these companies or products, and not selling anything myself here. For those that may wonder (cynics like me) :-) 

This source, from which I have purchased and tried 3 different o-rings, is high quality, and the products are engineered and specified for industrial/commercial use. This is not the same quality as what you get in generic kits from China that have 400 Buna o-rings.  

They also carry the correct one for the main jet o-ring, which also can be a problem if it leaks 

M2x6 Viton O-Ring, 6 mm ID, 10 mm OD, 2 mm Width

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005RUQPFC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

and also the one for the vacuum petcock that always fails 

M1.9x3.8 Viton O-Ring, 3.8 mm ID, 7.6 mm OD, 1.9 mm Width

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005RUQEZI/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Maybe TT can package these as a kit and sell them. Everyone with a DRZ over 3-5 years old needs these. 

The needle normally has a coating on it, it wears you have a leak, id just buy the whole thing, then there's no questionable fix.

• Like 1