Sign in to follow this  

CR 500 main seals

I just bought a 2000 Service Honda CR 500 AF. My uncle picked it up for me, and I'm going to get it in October.  But in the mean time, I'm gonna pay to have a mechanic remove the jug to ensure the top end is in good shape. 

Aside from the basics of checking all bearings, changing fluids, greasing up linkage, etc, what do you guys suggest I do to the bike?

While the mechanic is inspecting the piston, can the main seals be replaced without splitting the cases?  I know that the CR 250 could, but I'm unsure of the 500.  This bike has been sitting a long time, the seals may be dried up.

remove the ignition cover and check crank bearing play by pulling and pushing the flywheel up and down. next take off the carb and reeds and look at the piston for cracks on the intake side skirt. Then take the pipe off and look at wear on the piston.

• Like 1

U can remove the jug yourself if you are not scared. They are stupid simple.

Seals can be changed if you are mechanically inclined. IF you can't do a top end I'd pay someone to change the seals though.

Check the right main case for cracks. Sometimes they are cracked under the clutch basket which takes some digging to inspect.

U can remove the jug yourself if you are not scared. They are stupid simple.

Seals can be changed if you are mechanically inclined. IF you can't do a top end I'd pay someone to change the seals though.

Check the right main case for cracks. Sometimes they are cracked under the clutch basket which takes some digging to inspect.

I've done several top ends myself, isn't  hard.. but here's the thing.  While I'm out in California getting the bike, we're planning several days of hard riding in the desert, in the mountains, etc.  The last CR 500 I bought in 2004, used, the piston broke before my first real ride!!  That was so painful.

So I'm not gonna ride it hard until I check that top end.  We won't have time on this vacation to do that.  My brother and I are driving straight through from TX, getting to SoCal by a Thursday evening, going for a ride IMMEDIATELY behind my uncle's house.  Friday is a big ride in Lucerne Valley, Saturday morning is a ride at Bowen Ranch Rd in Apple Valley.  Sunday morning we leave back to TX with my new bike.

With the kind of riding we're doing, I refuse to ride that bike without inspecting the piston.  I'm talking about hill climbs 800 ft in elevation, the 500 pinned in 3rd gear for upwards of 30-40 seconds just to reach the top.