Sign in to follow this  

Cheap Custom Graphics

Hey All,

I am thinking of starting a side buisness of making custom graphics kit that are affordable. i have not printed one yet but am about to do one for my bike. I am curious to see what everyone would think because looking at completely custom kits are way to expense and flames skulls, and factory racing kits are not always what you want on your bike. So my thought is if it is as easy for the buyer as it is to put a picture on your credit card would people be interseted. let me know what you think and i will update with images of what im doing for my tank.

Thanks for any input!!!!!!

Matt

• Like 3

If I could get a semi custom kit for under $250 I would shit myself I think.

• Like 1

That would be around a doable price the only problem that i have not figured out is how the copright on the images work. if you have your own images that are not like procircuit or fox or something. But im just about done with my test art work and should be printing and putting them on the bike hopefully in a week or 2. It had been a while since i used photoshop.

I believe there is a market for graphics kit for older bikes.

Especially custom graphics.

Most companies don't offer kits for older bikes.

Plastics too.

Ya i will be able to do all the bikes back to 99 some older. The biggest hurdle im trying to figure out is the whole copyright infringement of printing logos for money

• Like 1

I am a designer.

Logos are protected by U.S. trademark law, not copyright, and fair use of a trademark is not the same as fair use of copyrighted work. The reasoning behind fair use in either instance, however, is similar as it protects a fundamental right of free expression. Fair use allows the use of a logo without seeking permission from the trademark owner, but only under certain circumstances.

• Like 1

How are you using photoshop for it? Anytime I've done mine I always get told by the print company I have to re do them In illustrator. That's the only way to get a vector that doesn't end up all pixelated and such.

Edited by D4N63R
  • Like 1

The fair use or nominative use of a logo is recognized for purposes of description and identification. A newspaper, for instance, can incorporate a corporate logo in an article about a company’s annual report. Trademark allows an author of a nonfiction work to use a trademarked logo only to describe or identify the product or service of the company it represents. It might not be considered fair use, for instance, for a book on the general condition of the auto industry to incorporate only the logo of Ford Motor Co., on its cover. An article on the release of a new product using the logo of a competitor is even more likely to be found an infringement of trademark. Actual findings of infringement are left to the courts.

How are you using photoshop for it? Anytime I've done mine I always get told by the print company I have to re do them In illustrator. That's the only way to get a vector that doesn't end up all pixelated and such.

This

• Like 1

This

I'm curious to hear his answer. If I could find a way to print properly and get the cut lines from photoshop I'd never have to pay for custom graphics again. But because I don't have the first clue as to how to use illustrator I'm screwed.

@D4N63R I use vector images to do this one also there are tools you can use to convert images to vector images. 90% of the logos I have wanted to use have been out there, with a little bit of digging of course.

@UncleLuke That is some good info in moving forward my idea. Also if I understand you correctly that printing that logo that was given to me already as an image would then be considered more of a fair use other then trademark infringement?

• Like 1

Ah yeah. I never used any logos really. Most of it was all made by me so it was just a big psd.

Right now im just using a single color background but could change before i get it to the printersbecause my paper still isnot here to print yet.

90% of the logos I have wanted to use have been out there, with a little bit of digging of course.

I like to use the website BrandsOfTheWorld to look for logos.

I'm curious to hear his answer. If I could find a way to print properly and get the cut lines from photoshop I'd never have to pay for custom graphics again. But because I don't have the first clue as to how to use illustrator I'm screwed.

You pretty much have to use vector format for graphics.. Try inkscape if you want to experiment with learning how work vector art, then if you start to understand it upgrade to Illustrator.
  • Like 1

Ya BradnsofTheWorld is what i use primarily. Other off sites i have used for other fill in items

But im just about done with my test art work and should be printing and putting them on the bike hopefully in a week or 2. It had been a while since i used photoshop.

Who are you using to print your graphics, I've been working on some graphics for myself for awhile and I can't really find a db graphic place to print them because they charge a lot because they aren't their graphics being printed.

Who are you using to print your graphics, I've been working on some graphics for myself for awhile and I can't really find a db graphic place to print them because they charge a lot because they aren't their graphics being printed.

Well im actually the IT guy for a nationwide printing company so its pretty much just the cost of the vinyl paper and the ink

• Like 1

Well im actually the IT guy for a nationwide printing company so its pretty much just the cost of the vinyl paper and the ink

Man! I'm gonna jealous you got a sweet hookup! If you're debating what vinyl to use check out substance incorporated, that's the brand of vinyl that BikeGraphix uses.

Man! I'm gonna jealous you got a sweet hookup! If you're debating what vinyl to use check out substance incorporated, that's the brand of vinyl that BikeGraphix uses.

Well thats where im kinda lucky again for testing i convinced our paper vendor to get me some to test with so well see what happens from there supposedly its as durable as the 20mm thick stuff but only 10mm thick.