Sign in to follow this  

1999 cr125 seized?

So I just bought a 1999 cr125 from some guy yesterday for $925 and haven't even even rode the thing for more than 30 minutes. I was heading down a road to get to a trail when I went to either shift up or down I don't even remember but when I pulled the clutch in the thing died. Now, the carb needed to be cleaned on the thing so it already wasn't running good so I figured alright I just stalled it or something. So I come to a stop and wait a few seconds, kick it four or five times and it sounds like there is still compression. Then I make sure it's in neutral by shifting down then back and try to kick it again and it's LOCKED. Doesn't move a smidget. I plan to tear it down tonight and check it out just wondering if anyone has an idea of what happened? Thanks!

Also the guy said it had 10-15 hours on the rebuild.. Said it would need new rings soon or a tune up? Don't think he knew what he was talking about... Guy didn't even know how to clean a carb

Did you remember to run premix? Lol 10-15 hours on a rebuild is pretty early unless its getting raced extremely hard. Things that could cause a sezuire are an list as long as my arm pull it apart but since it seized when it wasnt running its kinda strange but i might put my money on a snagged ring but its tough to say for sure.

Yep I premixed it 35:1 like it says, wasn't even close to wide open just pulled the clutch and she died. I'm taking a look at the clutch right now gonna check the transmission fluids and everything

Yep I premixed it 35:1 like it says, wasn't even close to wide open just pulled the clutch and she died. I'm taking a look at the clutch right now gonna check the transmission fluids and everything

well im thinking it may not be seized you said it wasnt running great so it may have just died then your kickstarter broke. Im not familar with the type of engaging mechanisim they use.

Took the top end off and the piston and rings were broken... Parts jammed inside the crankcase, got them all cleaned out for the most part gonna run some gas and oil through it to clean the rest of it out