Sign in to follow this  

Stuck Bolts

I am a dumbass.

Beginning of every month I check numerous bolts on my bike, and re-antiseize them.

I forgot to do this the beginning of July.

:facepalm:

As OCD as I am it's boggles my mind I forget this.

Any suggestions here?

The upper bolts (1 on each side) that hold the radiator shroud apparently galled.

I squirted a bunch of PB Blaster in there as best I could.  It sat an hour but the metal insert in the tank still spins.

I didn't turn it much as the less I damage the hole in the tank the better.

My next move I guess is to cut off the plastic shroud, use more PB Blaster, and maybe I can use something to hold the instert enough to get the bolt loose.  Then use some type of adhesive to hold the insert.

I nuked them with a heat gun and stopped short of destroying the plastic.

Edited by SpunBearing
  • Like 1

Just leave them alone until you need to remove them.  You may never need to.

Actually, on my KTM, I always leave them attached to the tank when I remove the tank.

When you do eventually get them off, maybe use stick-on Velcro instead of bolts?

Edited by Still Bill

Still that's a good idea - leave them attached to the tank.

Was gonna take the tank off to do a compression test.

If I used Velcro I'd have to stop every few miles to pick them up as I tend to richocet off tress and stuff.  :lol:

Ahh maybe it's not that bad - I'll have to think about the Velcro.

Interesting idea thanks.

Yeah, there's not much of a reason to take the shrouds off the tank unless you get a new tank, or new shrouds.

How did they seize that quickly? Do you ride a lot of mud or water? I've never had bolts seize after many months from the last time I took them out.

Yeah, there's not much of a reason to take the shrouds off the tank unless you get a new tank, or new shrouds.

How did they seize that quickly? Do you ride a lot of mud or water? I've never had bolts seize after many months from the last time I took them out.

Yeah - rode in the rain a while back - maybe mid July.

I wash my bike after every ride also, which is why I did the every month antiseize game.

I'll have to check but I think I need to remove the shrouds to get at the bolts to remove the tank.  With the one bolt stuck at least I can rotate the shroud.

Maybe a big pari of visegrips to hold the insert?  A buddy who can stick a mechanic pick around the insert while you try to loosen?   Next time you have them out, change them with a good machined bolt.

I had a bunch of problems with teh stock bolts and screws over the years on various bikes/quads.  Always went to the hardware store and purchased good ones over those soft JIS screws/bolts.  Little grease on them and never had an issue. 

The carb bowl screws were the worst, shroud bolts were #2.

• Like 1

Good ideas Faux - thanks.

Kinda what I was thinking is to:

1.  Cut the shroud off.

2.  Maybe use a punch or screwdriver to hold the insert and turn the bolt.  I kinda doubt that'll work though.

Probably gonna do a top end in 20 hrs or so, so may tackle it then...maybe.  Need to see what a new tank coses first.  :lol:

I confirmed I can in fact get the tank off without removing any of the shroud/gas tank bolts, so that's cool.

Edit:  reading comp fail

Edited by SpunBearing

Drill the head off the bolt. Save your shroud. You might be able wedge it and back out the rest of the bolt. The plastic is soft so you might end up pulling the stud out and then just jb weld a nut in its place.

• Like 2

Drill the head off the bolt. Save your shroud. You might be able wedge it and back out the rest of the bolt. The plastic is soft so you might end up pulling the stud out and then just jb weld a nut in its place.

Decent plan, and is my Plan # 2.

Thanks.

Edit:  You know Plan # 2 may not work if I can't hold the insert and/or nut; the entire thing will spin.  That would necessitate destroying the shroud.

Edited by SpunBearing

Try some gorilla glue around teh insert and tank.  It may hold long enough to back the screw out.  If not, you could peal it off and try something else.

Try some gorilla glue around teh insert and tank.  It may hold long enough to back the screw out.  If not, you could peal it off and try something else.

Will have to destroy the shroud to get the glue in there, but sounds like a plan.

I soaked some more PB in there and will let it sit overnight.

Maybe I'll buy some dry ice and try and shrink the bolt.  Local gorcery store has some.

You know what would solve all these issues? If manufacturers made the inserts in a t shape and the tank had a cut out inlayed in the tank that receives it, then they industrial gorilla glue it in or something like that. At least then you could still back the bolt out and glue the insert in.

• Like 1

You know what would solve all these issues? If manufacturers made the inserts in a t shape and the tank had a cut out inlayed in the tank that receives it, then they industrial gorilla glue it in or something like that. At least then you could still back the bolt out and glue the insert in.

Interesting, and you just gave me an idea:  maybe I can just pull the bolt/insert out of the tank.

Wonder how the factory attached it.

Edit:  was looking at the exhaust diagram, switched to the fuel tank.  From what I can tell they don't even show the those inserts.  Tank is about $350.00  :cry:

Edited by SpunBearing

They aren't in there by much. They look kind of like a kick starter nub: a round flange stuck in the tank. What i did for two bikes is spin the bolt/brass insert with an electric drill until it got the plastic hot enough to extract the brass lug. Let it cool. Put the brass in a vice and get the bolt out. Re-seat the brass plug with liquid epoxy in the areas around the square plug and the now-round hole. Once it dries it wont spin anymore.

You also gotta change your name to SpunTankInsert.

It's just how ThumperTalk works.

• Like 1

They aren't in there by much. They look kind of like a kick starter nub: a round flange stuck in the tank. What i did for two bikes is spin the bolt/brass insert with an electric drill until it got the plastic hot enough to extract the brass lug. Let it cool. Put the brass in a vice and get the bolt out. Re-seat the brass plug with liquid epoxy in the areas around the square plug and the now-round hole. Once it dries it wont spin anymore.

Sounds about what I will end up having to do.

I would imagine there's some teeth/grooves on the outside of that insert.

Just worried about that heat thing - is there enough tank thickness?

Guess that's rhetorical as it worked for you.

You also gotta change your name to SpunTankInsert.

It's just how ThumperTalk works.

:lol:

No grooves in mine. Just a cube machined round, with a recess at the bottom. The tank plastic grabs that recess. It looks just like the kickstarter, imo. Once its heated up by spinning, you can pull it out. You dont lose any material, just warm it up and move it.

You can try a flat head in there, with a quick jerk of the socket to try to free it up. I bet a hammer drill or small impact would be enough to crack the bolt loose, provided you had a good wedge in there. Just dont poke your tank!

• Like 1