Sign in to follow this  

Want YZ450F but i ride trails..

Hello all,

My name is Jeff and I've rode trails since i was eight. i'm fifteen now. i have ridden a xr100, a cr125, and Rmx250. i have decent experience on riding trails and i have a pretty good deal on a YZ450F '06. I doubt i will ride track much but still. I'm 6'4 and 230lbs but will probably be 200lbs by next season. Anyways, is a 450F that much of an issue in the trail? I don't ride through the hardest trails and I'm a pretty safe rider. So what are your thoughts? i am also used to  little to zero maintence on my bikes so what am i getting into on a 450F? i understand i should change oil and air filters 5-10 hours? But vales i don't know anything...

Thanks you in advance =)

Personally I don't like 450 4s MX bikes on the trails.  I would take a 250 2s any day over a 450 4 stroke.  450s just feel so much heavier. 

As far as maintenance goes the valve clearance check isn't that big of a deal.  You just need to change the oil at regular intervals and make sure the air filter is always clean and oiled (as much as every ride depending on how dry/dusty the conditions.  Valve checks are not bad at all.  The main thing is IF/WHEN something does go wrong there are more moving parts thus more money when you try and fix it.

A two stroke will be easier/cheaper to rebuild but they are not any less maintenance.  You still have to change the oil and clean the air filter.  Just when something goes wrong there are less moving parts so It is cheaper to fix.

I don't think there are many machines that require little to no maintenance to keep them going.  Maybe some simple machine like a wedge.

I have an 07 YZ450F, and the clutch is horrendous for trails.  I heard there was some aftermarket clutch perch fix, but haven't bothered because it's my back-up bike.  I was thinking a recluse clutch in it would be nice.  That being said, it's still decent for trails.