Sign in to follow this  

New Rims?

Not sure if im in the correct lobby here. However I am curious about spokes on the rim.  

My issue is that I have about 5 spokes that seem to be stripped or something.  I keep trying to tighten them, but its impossible.  When I spin the wheel, it seems to wobble a little side to side.  I was trying to straighten it.  I notice this when I was riding.

Anyone have this issue before, Am I going to need to buy new rims or/and spokes?  

I have not removed the tire off the rim yet, because I am going riding this week end.  It is still rideable, just not great.

If you mean that the spoke nipple spins on the spoke without tightening, the nipple is stripped and needs replacement. 

But if you're tightening a spoke pulling left without loosening the opposing spoke pulling right, you won't get anywhere. 

Look at THIS PAGE.  Scroll down to the truing section.

If you mean that the spoke nipple spins on the spoke without tightening, the nipple is stripped and needs replacement. 

Yes exactly, It will just keep spining in place, i cannot tighten or losen it.  Does this mean I only need to buy the spokes?

Depending on the rim condition, it may be all you need.  If the rim itself is not dented or bent in some way, but simply out of true, then spoke swill cure the problem.   Yamaha does not sell individual spokes; they are available only in full sets.  You can, however, go to the local Kawasaki dealer and buy individual spokes for an '06-'09ish KXF450, and those will fit stock Yamaha hubs and rims. 

Should you?  Depends on why the existing spokes are damaged, and on your best guess as to the condition of those that appear in serviceable condition.

you mentioned stock hubs and rims... i may not like the answer here but here goes.  My Rims and hubs are Krieg, does this mean i need Krieg spokes?

Yes.

Tusk products are rebranded products from a number of sources.  In general, they're OK, but the quality can be somewhat variable. 

just FYI, i did end up getting those TUSK IMPACT Rims, they handled really well for me and were pre assembled which was nice.  The wheels were tru and i rode on them a few times before i ended up selling the bike.  Now I have these nice rims and no where to put them on.  My cr450f has excel takasago rims and my rm125 has stock excel, so i may change the rm rims although there is nothing really wrong with them.  Dunno may just keep it for a spare.

Overall really happy with the rims so far, pretty good for the price.