Sign in to follow this  

New to the thumper

After a few years riding a 79 KZ400 and building a few other bikes, I decided to sell off the KZ400 and buy a cheaper DD to fund my new XS850 cafe build. My daily commute is only about 5 miles, so a smaller bike with good gas mileage was the goal.

Long story short, picked up a 1980 SP400 with around 11k miles on it. Runs pretty good, but definitely needs some tuning. Going to enjoy riding it this year, repaint it and clean it up a bit. Maybe do a little bit of a "tracker" feel with daytona bars, a new tail section/slimmer seat and removed or replaced side covers (one is missing).

Few questions right of the bat...

1) If I want to replace the 1st and 2nd muffler with just one muffler, is there a slip on that you would recommend, or is it just trial and error finding one that fits?

2) What ratio are the speedo and tach? The stock speedo is broken and I'd like to replace them both with smaller ones.

10565184_10154410264295212_5997073818876453905_n.jpg

This post reminded; I used to have a SP250...remembered it was a Suzuki but could not recall what model it was. 

not sure about pipe selection or fit, but curious what is wrong with that one? There are some post around and some have shared pictures of clean and repaint of exhaust, looking like good work too.

As far as performance, I wonder if the baffle has been removed and cleaned ever...could be restricted..?

welcome to TT

This post reminded; I used to have a SP250...remembered it was a Suzuki but could not recall what model it was. 

not sure about pipe selection or fit, but curious what is wrong with that one? There are some post around and some have shared pictures of clean and repaint of exhaust, looking like good work too.

As far as performance, I wonder if the baffle has been removed and cleaned ever...could be restricted..?

welcome to TT

Performance wise I know I need to clean the carb. But I was thinking about throwing a UNI air filter on. Usually more air from intake prefers a clearer less restricted exhaust. I was just hoping to free up some power.

The baffles in the stock exhaust are accessible to clean?

Seams like two mufflers on a bike would be overkill, so I'd like to remove some of that extra restriction.

Not sure if it is called a baffle or it just functions as a spark arrestor.

Looks like there is a screw toward the bottom side of the exhaust right near the end of the pipe. Remove that screw and the end piece should come out.

If the air cleaner is still intact, I would just clean and re-oil it.

Clean the carb and see if that gains you some. New and extra plugs are a must to have around.

A inline fuel filter is nice to add...

Nice older machine you have there. The 250 I had was kind of a `pooch` but it had 2 wheels and ran :)

I used to say, `spitoofifty`....SP250...get it? :lol: