Sign in to follow this  

cant shift plus left case dripping oil

Just bought a 95cr250 and everytime I ride for about 30 minutes, the bike only lets me shift into 1st or neutral.Also everytime this happends my left case cover drips oil.

Changed the clutch plates and springs and still doing it,basket is also in pretty good condition.

What could be the problem here need some help?

Is the oil dripping from the countershaft sprocket? If so it's that seal. As far as the shifting issue, I would replace the transmission oil and see if that helps, but more then likely you will have to remove the clutch basket and look at that linkage for anything obvious. You will probably have to spilt the cases. But start with the easy stuff first, which would be the oil.

Good luck,

Chris

Thanks, tried changing oil already and nothing but ill take a look behind basket for anything..hoping to not have to split case.

For the dripping its coming from right under and center of the left side cover

Better get a manual and start splitting....sounds like a bad seal and a transmission issue.

I've never seen oil being a cause for not being able to shift gears.  It might be notchy or not as smooth due to oil brands but you have a way more serious problem than oil.  

When you pull out in first gear is it smooth (the clutch)?

I'm thinking you have a bent shift shaft that wore your seal out of round. I had one on a vintage bike that I had to cut with a cut off wheel. It was too bent to come through the cases.

Edited by SMarquez