Sign in to follow this  

should i buy this RM 125 2001

hey guys i have been looking at this RM 125 2001 model it need a bit of work but its fairly cheap though looks like a clean bike

is quoted from the add 

"Good bike goes hard , only problem with it at the moment is the top end drops in and out , thinking its an electrical problem

Pro circuit muffler
Renthal bars
Just recently put new rings in
Everything has been checked and cleaned carby , air filter etc. <br/><br/>"

its $900 AUD which is about $84im only just getting into the mechanical side of bikes and am keen to learn?teach myself from tutorials just not sure whether i could be buying a nightmare or a good learning curve

cheers Gyroside 

Not sure of the price compared to US dollars you would mean $84.00 ?? If so, and the bike runs and looks clean then I say go for it! sounds like a great deal even.

Fairly easy to work on and good project for learning some basics...get a repair manual.

I was talking to a bike mechanic about looking for a older 2 stroke and he suggested nothing older than year 2000...did not think to ask why though..parts availability?

hey Nosmoke,

that was $841 USD not exactly sure how managed to type that.

any suggestions as what it could in regards to the top end dropping in and out? just want to research some possibilities before moving forward.

Thanks

Gyroside 

I would say do not go any older than 2006 any older the parts will be more worn out and you will have to spend more money, do not go with a 2000 - 2005 go with 2006 and you might have a nice bike.

I would say do not go any older than 2006 any older the parts will be more worn out and you will have to spend more money, do not go with a 2000 - 2005 go with 2006 and you might have a nice bike.

My 2005 is fine. It gets rebuilt as necessary, so far so good

Not sure of the price compared to US dollars you would mean $84.00 ?? If so, and the bike runs and looks clean then I say go for it! sounds like a great deal even.

Fairly easy to work on and good project for learning some basics...get a repair manual.

I was talking to a bike mechanic about looking for a older 2 stroke and he suggested nothing older than year 2000...did not think to ask why though..parts availability?

That's MAJOR BS I bought 96 rm125 it looked great ran great haven't had a problem

hey Nosmoke,

that was $841 USD not exactly sure how managed to type that.

any suggestions as what it could in regards to the top end dropping in and out? just want to research some possibilities before moving forward.

Thanks

Gyroside 

No, not really sure what would cause it to drop in and out at top end.

Very subjective description actually; fuel- float setting correct? electrical-? reed valves-?, hard to say w/out looking it over and checking things out.

Remember the basics; air, fuel, and spark.

Look the bike over carefully; frame-welds, dents, nuts/bolts,check sprockets-worn?, Tires general condition, wheels, same thing.

Anything obviously wrong made be `bargaining` room.

8 to 900 dollars for a running 125 2t doesn't sound bad. If you have and are handy with tools, I would say go for it if you plan to keep and enjoy the bike. If you plan to repair and sell, it may be difficult to turn much profit. I love 2-strokes and that RM125 will run like a scalded monkey on crack.