Sign in to follow this  

Looking for a Simple Skid Plate- no mods necessary

Hi All-

I just bought a CRF230F and am looking forward to hitting the trails. I'd like to add a skid plate sooner than later and am looking for one that is 100% bolt on with no silly mods necessary to correct the manufacturer's poor R&D. 

Could anyone recommend a brand or two? I'd prefer an aluminum design that's reasonable looking.

Thank you

So far:

Stock OEM has been working for me for over 5 years on both bikes.

Agreed.  We have one CRF150 and two CRF230s and they have all held up very well.  Don't fix it if it isn't broken.

Hi All-

I just bought a CRF230F and am looking forward to hitting the trails. I'd like to add a skid plate sooner than later and am looking for one that is 100% bolt on with no silly mods necessary to correct the manufacturer's poor R&D. 

Could anyone recommend a brand or two? I'd prefer an aluminum design that's reasonable looking.

Thank you

What is the terrain like where you ride?

Rocky rutted off camber trails can put hard stuff in contact with your engine cases and/or covers.

Some folks don't ride in areas like this so can't see the need.

The OE skid plate is designed to protect the bottom of the frame rails, not the engine cases or covers.

It's interesting as this internet stuff takes us all around the country and to foreign lands. These bikes are ridden in lots of different places from one another. Here is a little thread about skid caps looks a little old though. http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/458091-best-crf230-skidplate/

I don't count because the BBR came with a aluminum one. Though we use to all use aluminum ones on our WR's now we use plastic ones from MSR. Looks like there are some nice candidates in aluminum like MSR and Moose.

My BBR came with an .060 aluminum plate and it's super tough stuff!

No idea what it's made of other than it's aluminum... It does not need to be made of steel for sure!

My other two bikes (both 2005) have stock OEM plates. I recently replaced one of them because it had a crack in it....after all it's 14 years old already!

Not meaning to jack the thread but does anyone know if there is a linkage guard for this bike? I was hitting my linkage really hard today and realized how vulnerable all that is

• Like 1