Sign in to follow this  

1994 XT 350... Front end swap?

SO, my girlfriends dad bought a 94 xt350 brand new back in the day, put 900 miles on it, and parked it in the garage in 2003 where it has sat ever since. I noticed it buried back there and discussed buying it, and think I can get it for a pretty good price. The bike is in very good condition. First of all, I have done some research and people seem to really like these bikes, but say the suspension is horrible. It just turns out that I am parting out a 1998 RM125, and have the all of the suspension left.  Not sure if it would make a difference that the RM just happens to be conventional forks like the XT. So the entire front end ( triple clamps, forks, wheel, brake) As well as the entire rear suspension. SO

Question #1: How much would you value this bike at? I am in the Chicago area if that matters.

Question #2: If I buy the bike, Would it be worth the time /work involved swapping the suspension? Or would I be better buying something like a wr250r? Is this even possible, would the geometry be fine? I grew up riding mx, not new to bikes at all, I am looking into buying a medium-bore dual sport.

What do you all think? Any input on this bike is also greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Edited by lucahemi

I think a fair price would be about $1,000 if the bike were truly mint and had all of the paperwork needed to make registering it easy.

The less mint it was, the lower the price.

Find out whether or not it has been sitting all of that time with gasoline in the tank and carburetors.

That could be a headache if you are not used to that kind of work.

Plan on spending some time and money on it, no matter how good it looks at first.

I owned a 2000 XT-350M (last model year sold in the USA), and liked the bike well enough.

Two things about the bike I did not care for were the shape of the seat where it meets the fuel tank and the small-diameter front forks.

The seat is thick and wide and rises sharply where it meets the tank, and being more in favor of the seat shape of a typical MX bike, I felt that was an annoyance.

Even if there were less padding there, it would be better.

I never did anything about this, so I just lived with it.

A guy who never slides forward for cornering may not gripe about it.

I did do something about the small 36mm forks:

I installed the complete front end from a 1986 Yamaha IT-200S (the one with the disc brake).

That was:

Fork legs, upper and lower triple clamps and steering stem, front wheel, wheel axle, brake caliper, brake hose, and master cylinder.

This all went on very easily, and the two things I had to do were put a washer under the big nut on top of the steering stem and to cut down the steering stops on the bottom triple clamp to allow a greater steering angle.

The stock 36mm forks with 10 inches of travel were oddballs and getting springs for it that were actually stiffer were not available to my knowledge, unless you maybe had some custom made, and those forks felt too soft and squishy for me.

The 43mm KYB fork of the IT-200S were just the opposite, and you could buy whatever rate spring you wanted.

Once I has the fork swap and spring rate choice done, the front suspension felt proper to me.

Edited by YZEtc

Thanks for the reply. I will be going to look at the bike this week  hopefully and will post some pics. ANY other opinions/advice on this bike would be great. Thanks

mine was plenty low already when I bought it.  have to look to see what can be done to lower one.