Sign in to follow this  

Can't decide...

Hey all. I'm trying to decide on what bike to get. I was cursed with the short gene.... I'm about 5'1 and 110 lbs. I'm a 20 year old female, so I will not be growing anymore. I've been riding since I was six, so experience is not an issue. The last bike I rode was a KTM 85 SX. I raced it and rode on trails. It's been about two years since I've been riding and I'm looking to get into it again. I really want to move away from minis, since I feel like I need more power. Being so short, though, a 125 will be pretty big for my height. I know I can shave the seat down, which will probably only give me about an inch or so? I've also heard about putting a lowering link in and sagging the suspension. What do you guys think? I'd really appreciate some opinions. :)

Like mentioned you could opt for a kx100, ktm 105 or a crf150r.  However, considering your at your max height and you have good experience I would opt for a full sized bike.  I would look around for a 125 that you can mesh with ergo wise and then do what you can to get it a bit lower.  I know that rm125 and kx125 had the lowest seat heights while the yz125 has one of the tallest.  You can generally lower a full sized bike 3 to 3.5 inches.  You can safely lower the suspension internally about 2 to 2.5 inches.  Then you can remove 1 to 1.5 inches from the seat.

Like mentioned you could opt for a kx100, ktm 105 or a crf150r.  However, considering your at your max height and you have good experience I would opt for a full sized bike.  I would look around for a 125 that you can mesh with ergo wise and then do what you can to get it a bit lower.  I know that rm125 and kx125 had the lowest seat heights while the yz125 has one of the tallest.  You can generally lower a full sized bike 3 to 3.5 inches.  You can safely lower the suspension internally about 2 to 2.5 inches.  Then you can remove 1 to 1.5 inches from the seat.

Do you know if lowering the suspension will have any negative impact on how the bike rides?

Do you know if lowering the suspension will have any negative impact on how the bike rides?

As long as you keep it to about 2" of drop then there aren't a lot of negatives. If you're jumping serious stuff then you'll have a compromise a bit with bottoming vs plushness because of the reduced travel. Some bikes actually handle better in the corners with 1-2" of drop. Basically, any scenario where you'd use up almost all your travel will be a bit of a compromise to get a shorter ride height. For trail riding there aren't a lot of those but in mx there can be. However, if you look at that compromise in travel and compare it to riding a kx100...I'd take the dropped full size bike any day.

Edited by kan3
  • Like 1

As long as you keep it to about 2" of drop then there aren't a lot of negatives. If you're jumping serious stuff then you'll have a compromise a bit with bottoming vs plushness because of the reduced travel. Some bikes actually handle better in the corners with 1-2" of drop. Basically, any scenario where you'd use up almost all your travel will be a bit of a compromise to get a shorter ride height. For trail riding there aren't a lot of those but in mx there can be. However, if you look at that compromise in travel and compare it to riding a kx100...I'd take the dropped full size bike any day.

I see. Very helpful. I will be jumping the bike so I'll most likely be looking for a KX 125. Thanks very much for your input.