Sign in to follow this  

Front Brake Issues

I was riding my 09 yz125 the other day when randomly the front brake turned really spongy. It still worked, but was noticeably spongier than before. This happened out of no where as I was riding. I figured if I bled the brakes it would be fine, but it still remained spongy. So then I loosened the banjo bolt and let all of the brake fluid out and decided to just add new brake fluid and start over. When I added the new brake fluid and proceeded to bleed it again, I must have sat there squeezing my front brake for 30 minutes and only half of the brake fluid in the master cylinder was gone AFTER I had filled it to the top. So now I have no front brakes, and am wondering what could be wrong. Maybe I need a brake line since the bike is 5 years old. What do you guys think?

Edited by ehoward224

Clean, solid liquid won't compress. 

If your lever is spongy, something is giving/flexing, or your fluid is contaminated. 

A brake hose may certainly be 'ballooning', but it may be dirty, dry, sticking caliper slide pins too.

If you're having difficulty bleeding your brakes, you can inject brake fluid from a large syringe, through the brake bleeder on the caliper.  Messy, but effective.  Any air in the line will be pushed into the reservoir.

You can also remove your brake caliper, and hold it above the master cylinder and bleed the brakes normally.

Make sure you master cylinder piston is returning all the way to it's resting position, and is not being held by dirt or incorrect brake lever adjustment.

Dirt bike front brakes grrrrrr.

• Like 2

There could be a hole in the lime, or the fluid is old. What color was it?

Clean, solid liquid won't compress. 

If your lever is spongy, something is giving/flexing, or your fluid is contaminated. 

A brake hose may certainly be 'ballooning', but it may be dirty, dry, sticking caliper slide pins too.

If you're having difficulty bleeding your brakes, you can inject brake fluid from a large syringe, through the brake bleeder on the caliper.  Messy, but effective.  Any air in the line will be pushed into the reservoir.

You can also remove your brake caliper, and hold it above the master cylinder and bleed the brakes normally.

Make sure you master cylinder piston is returning all the way to it's resting position, and is not being held by dirt or incorrect brake lever adjustment.

Dirt bike front brakes grrrrrr.

+ 1  that about covers it....