Sign in to follow this  

What To Do When You Wreck

This is going to sound dumb to most of you I would assume.  But I need to ask to make sure I know what to do when the situation arises.  Lets say I'm riding, wreck, and the motor revs up and the tires spinning like crazy while the bikes on its side.  Obviously I know it's not an air leak, unless I jarred an oil seal loose during the crash.  Do I lift the bike up and let it stall or go for the kill switch?

I bought an RM 250 and I've been fortunate enough thus far not to have wrecked it and ran into this problem, but a lot of the videos I see on youtube of people wrecking involve the motor going crazy afterwards, and I don't want my bike to blow up...

Sorry if this sounds stupid to you guys, but it's a question I need to ask before it happens.

I'll either grab the clutch and keep it running while I pick it up, or hit the kill switch. It all depends on where I crash.

I ride a 2 stroke 250 so getting it restarted is never a problem.

• Like 3

I'll either grab the clutch and keep it running while I pick it up, or hit the kill switch. It all depends on where I crash.

I ride a 2 stroke 250 so getting it restarted is never a problem.

Same here; if I can grab the clutch and keep it running. 

If not, I'll hit the kill switch and regroup.

• Like 1

I think if you pick the bike up in a revving condition, you may a result something much different than a stall....a launch followed by a stall..maybe.

I guess it all depends on the circumstance. Kill switch would be a good bet.

Caution: avoid moving part in a situation like this ie. tire/chain/sprockets...knew a kid years ago who lost a few fingers.

I would not lose sleep dreading such a thing though..if it happens, just don`t panic. Engines and parts are replaceable / repairable.

• Like 1

Yeah, make sure your killswitch works.

If it doesn't and the throttle is wide open, shift it into a high gear and put the front tire against something hard and let the clutch out. Should kill it.

If you wreck and your throttle is stuck, it won't wreck your motor unless it was on the verge of blowing up anyways. Dirtbikes might not like wide open throttle for extended periods of time, but that doesn't mean they can't handle it.

• Like 3

Thanks for all the input guys!  Much appreciated.

I'll just go with holding the clutch in and picking it up.  

Thanks for not going crazy for me on this, we all gotta start somewhere!

Speaking of, here's a video of my first hill climb ever on a dirt bike.  I've been riding quads for a while now, but 2 wheels is TOTALLY different!  I've been learning all over.  The blaster is my buddy, we were just messing around at a local track and decided to try out a decent sized hill climb. At least, I thought it was decent sized considering I've never tried anything as big as this yet.  

Hill climbs are my thing on quads, and after this climb on the RM, a bike and a quad don't even compare for climbing.  It was a cake walk, just gotta look out for the ruts!

Oh yeah, before you ask.  I bought gear.  Arrived in the mail today!

Haha, yes...but I've stepped my game up. :thumbsup:

sorry to tell you this you have a terminal case of quaditice, there is no cure and will hamper your two wheel experience forever. You are doomed!
  • Like 5

sorry to tell you this you have a terminal case of quaditice, there is no cure and will hamper your two wheel experience forever. You are doomed!

Quadititis?! Yeah, I'm doomed.

Good thing is, I've hopped back on four wheels a few times and can't stand the lack of power and how low you sit!

I'm a two wheel man now!

• Like 2

I heard it's like herpes or something , i don't know never had either.  :lol:

• Like 1

It depends on where you crash , if its race , i would grab it and ride it and see if it goes right . If its woods riding or just hobby i would hit the kill switch and get a close look on a bike if its not damaged , after that i check on my self .D

• Like 2

You should really wear proper gear, this isn't metal mulisha.

He said he ordered some, and from what I've seen, they mostly wear proper gear anyways.

He said he ordered some, and from what I've seen, they mostly wear proper gear anyways.

didn't see this

You should really wear proper gear, this isn't metal mulisha.

Yeah, very last thing I said int he first post was that I bought gear.

Trust me, after hitting the dirt on the track, I bought some gear.

I have a Rekluse.  I've had course workers grab my throttle to pick up my still-running bike after I went down, and they sure got a surprise!

• Like 2

What exactly is a rekluse?

See how the word Rekluse is automatically underlined with a hot-link by the TT software?  Click on it - your life just got better, and your wallet just got lighter.  You will never go back.

• Like 2