I ran some last season... it was awful.  It does not matter what bike/setup you are on, artrax tires will make it handle like you are on ice.  Unless your just ripping around in farm feilds and doing burnouts and shit, artrax tires are not what you are looking for.  A worn out mx51 with 10 races on it would be a better performing tire that is easier to mount.

I've ran at least 12 sets with absolutely no issues.  They last a long time, they are DOT approved, and handle fine offroad.  On the track, I don't know, but for hardcore offroad the take the punishment. The 4 ply offroad tires work great with Tubliss.  Sometimes they require lots of air to seat the bead.

• Like 4

I ran some last season... it was awful.  It does not matter what bike/setup you are on, artrax tires will make it handle like you are on ice.  Unless your just ripping around in farm feilds and doing burnouts and shit, artrax tires are not what you are looking for.  A worn out mx51 with 10 races on it would be a better performing tire that is easier to mount.

I think you might be overstating your case a bit.  I would never use one on the front, but I have found there rear tires perfectly acceptable, even for racing (when new).  They wear pretty well, and they also respond well to a "refreshing" with a knobby knife.  They do have a very stiff sidewall, so you need to compensate by running a lower tire pressure. In normal riding conditions I bet that 95% of the good folks on this forum would run essentially the same lap times with fresh Artrax as they would with a big name tire.  Using theses tires (along with flipping them and using a knobby knife) can result in significant savings for the racing budget.

• Like 1

Regarding Artrax tires, I've been running the TG4's on my modded XR200R and KTM 300 for everything from rocky, dry, steep terrain in California to loamy, muddy, granite and hardpack in North Carolina with pretty decent results. They are a cross between Bridgestone M404 and IRC IX09W intermediates. They mounted fine with no issues and seated well on warp9 rims. For the dollar and my opinion they are good for people on a budget. I also run Sedona HP's from Motosport on my 2000 KX250 which are Michelin HardPack copies. I just recently added more sipes with a Hardline Sniper tire groover and they have held up great as well. Stiff sidewalls for running lower air pressure in the rocky stuff. I'm no track junky anymore so the need for  a few sets of pricey Dunlops or Pirellis every season is out the door. Again, good bang for the buck.

A worn out mx51 with 10 races on it would be a better performing tire that is easier to mount.

I bought a new front for a ride trip I'm going on soon, didn't have a problem mounting it. It took maybe 30 min with 3 tire irons on a flat floor with a little windex. Maybe you just have a bad technique.

I'm running an Artrax MX Pro rear on my practice bike. I have about 4 hours on it and I can't really complain for the price. It isn't the best performing tire I've ever used, but it's not the worst. It doesn't hook up very well in very soft sandy conditions, or in hard pack. It seems pretty decent in a fairly wide range of intermediate terrain though. It is fairly predictable, which a plus. So far it is holding up great, especially since I normally only get 8-9 hours out of most rear tires.

• Like 1

I've run Artrax tires on the practice bikes and loaner bikes for a while now... as KJ said, there are better performing tires out there and they don't perform great in condition other than what is specifically listed but for the price they are hard to beat on a practice bike. I've used the MX Pro, the SX 1 and SX 2 tires and the only complaint I can think of comes from using them in less than ideal conditions. I've also used the TG4 and they work as advertised in the sand. 

I bought a new front for a ride trip I'm going on soon, didn't have a problem mounting it. It took maybe 30 min with 3 tire irons on a flat floor with a little windex. Maybe you just have a bad technique.

I work at a motorcycle dealership and mount a shit load of tires weekly from all types of motorcycles and atvs.   My technique is spot on and it takes me a hell of a lot less time than a half hour. However, I agree the front tire is alright to mount, but the rears are a bitch and don't even stay on the bead once mounted unless you have 45 psi at least.