New to me 230.

Just joined the forum prior to my purchase of a 2007 CRF230F and this forum really helped me decide on which bike to purchase.  The 230 I bought I found on Craigslist in Dallas, Texas area which is about 200 miles from my house and from the looks and description I had to make the trip to pick her up.  I ended up with a super clean bike with Taper bars, airbox mod, Uni filter, and the baffle was already removed not sure on the jetting but plan to pull it apart soon and see what is in there.  This bike is in top notch shape and runs great with super low hours.   My first trail ride was about 35 miles and I hate to say it but my 42y/o arse was sore towards the end and I quickly realized my age and that something had to be done with the "plywood" seat and rear suspension.  Not sure what Honda was thinking with that seat so I sent it to Fisher's for a rework and hopefully it will come back a lot more comfortable.  I read about John Hlebo and the great work he has done with the 230 so I called him up and need less to say the rear shock is on the way to San Jose as I type.  I also plan on doing some work to the front shocks with a 3/8" PVC spacer and some 15w oil and if that does not meet my liking I will send those off to John for a rework also.  I also picked up a Baja headlight kit which came in today.  If anyone has any more suggestions on mods I'm all ears.   

You will probably find the 15w a little heavy.  I suggest you start with a high-quality 10w.  If you still need more damping try a 50/50 10w/15w mix.  if you are bottoming hard add another 1/2" of oil to each fork leg.

A lot of people, and even some Honda shops, use ATF instead of 10w and it is far too light.  I have done two CRF230s and they both had ATF in them.  When I put Bel Ray 10w in them they were much, much better.

Edited by VortecCPI
  • Like 1

You will probably find the 15w a little heavy.  I suggest you start with a high-quality 10w.  If you still need more damping try a 50/50 10w/15w mix.  if you are bottoming hard add another 1/2" of oil to each fork leg.

A lot of people, and even some Honda shops, use ATF instead of 10w and it is far too light.  I have done two CRF230s and they both had ATF in them.  When I put Bel Ray 10w in them they were much, much better.

Thank you Vortec I need all the help and info I can get as this is a new ball game with me.

Edited by Titanman

+1 on 10w the fork oil..

I have tried ATF, Mineral oil, and even, "3-in-1" sewing machine oil....along with many other types.

and if your fork seals are a little week, you can get some major leaks !

however I'm very happy with 10w non-detergent motor oil from the local auto-part guys.

it performs as well as any "labeled fork-oil" that I have purchased at a much lower price.

as far as the seat goes, your 11 year younger butt will like the shock change, but its still going to notice a long trial ride. 

there is an after marked tall seat foam available but I have not tried it myself and I think new seat leather will also be required.

so just keep the bottom end shaved up, and find a good friend to rub some lotion on it at the end of the day!

Edited by daled

Would it be worth sending my front forks to Hlebo or just install the RT emulators? Hlebo said he could redo the front forks for $250 and I'm wondering if I can get the same results for $100 less with the emulators. I'm mechanically inclined just new to this dirt bike stuff and may have some questions before I attempt pulling apart the forks. Are there any good install threads y'all know about? Thanks in advance.....

Would it be worth sending my front forks to Hlebo or just install the RT emulators? Hlebo said he could redo the front forks for $250 and I'm wondering if I can get the same results for $100 less with the emulators. I'm mechanically inclined just new to this dirt bike stuff and may have some questions before I attempt pulling apart the forks. Are there any good install threads y'all know about? Thanks in advance.....

John can do a great job on your forks.  He will cut the springs to achieve a rate that works for your body weight.  You will be very happy.  Bruce can do the same and he has a lot more experience with DR forks than John does.

Technically properly-setup Cartridge Emulators will outperform revised damper rods because they are not position sensitive.

Have a look here:  http://gardinerfamilyadventures.wordpress.com/2012/04/03/crf230f-suspension-upgrade-2011

Edited by VortecCPI

Just to clarify, 10W was recommended because the OP suggested he was going to add spacers, correct? With RT emulators, 15W is recommended right?

Yes 15 for sure. Put 10w in after I went thru the forks a couple of weeks ago to see how I liked it. Rode it again this weekend to see if my dislike for it last weekend was still the case. Will be putting 15w back in it this week.

• 2 weeks later...

You will probably find the 15w a little heavy.  I suggest you start with a high-quality 10w. 

As your original post states that you are trail riding, I tend to agree with Vortec on the desired oil weight.

the fork oil weight is just another variable in your set-up.

start with the 15w and after a few rides (or next fork oil service) change to the 10w.

after testing both you will know what is best for you.

stay away from "3-in-1" oil..!

Edited by daled

• 3 weeks later...

Just a update on my bike, the Hlebo shock and Fishers reworked seat made all the difference in the world on my 230. Went on a 40 mile trail ride yesterday and absolutely loved the new ride and no more sore @ss. I contacted Bruce T. and spoke with him for quite a while on the phone last week and plan on sending my forks to him this fall.

• Like 1