Sign in to follow this  

Gas changing color?

So I went to the track on Sunday and just like every other time I get home clean the bike and drain the carb. We'll I didn't get around to draining it until about 5 min ago. Let me start off by saying I run 100% straight VP (vpr) in my bike. The vp fuel is clear... Every time I drain the carb it always comes out clear. Just drained it and the fuel came out yellow... I checked the gas in the tank and it's clear. Does anyone know how or why the fuel in the carb could or would have changed color from clear to yellow? My bike was running fine at the track all day and I haven't fired it up since Sunday

Which VP fuel?

If an oxygenated fuel, I'm going to guess that the oxygenating components of the fuel deteriorate fairly quickly, especially in the small quantity that the float bowl holds. Much like ethanol laced pump fuel does.

Part of it could be too that the last batch you bought wasn't that fresh.

Edited by Trailryder42

Which VP fuel?

If an oxygenated fuel, I'm going to guess that the oxygenating components of the fuel deteriorate fairly quickly, especially in the small quantity that the float bowl holds. Much like ethanol laced pump fuel does.

Part of it could be too that the last batch you bought wasn't that fresh.

VPR

VPR

Must be a new fuel, as I'm not finding it in my VP catalog. Just looked it up online. It is new. R+M/2 of 105 octane. Color is pale green when new. And it is oxygenated. I could see the pale green color seeming to look yellow as it deteriorates.

Edited by Trailryder42

Must be a new fuel, as I'm not finding it in my VP catalog. Just looked it up online. It is new. R+M/2 of 105 octane. Color is pale green when new. And it is oxygenated. I could see the pale green color seeming to look yellow as it deteriorates.

pale green? Hmm that's strange because when I pour it out the the metal can into my gas jug it looks like water...