Sign in to follow this  

Coolant Spewing Out Hose At Idle, Did I Damage My Bike?

I just bought a 2007 rmz 250.  I was letting it idle for a couple minutes then all of a sudden green liquid starting spraying out of a hose near the radiator.  I immediately shut the bike off and sprayed the engine off with water from my garden hose to cool it off  Did I do any damage to my bike?  Do I need to put more coolant back in? 

Yes you need to refill the coolant and how long did you let it idle? 4 strokes will overheat quick with no air flowing through the radiators

Yes you need to refill the coolant and how long did you let it idle? 4 strokes will overheat quick with no air flowing through the radiators

Idled for a just a minute or couple minutes.  Did I damage my engine or any other parts?

Edited by rovertnamrod

Idled for a just a minute or couple minutes. Did I damage my engine or any other parts?

I'd say if it idled for "just a minute" you wouldn't hurt the motor any. But there's another reason why it's over heating that you should probably look into

I'd say if it idled for "just a minute" you wouldn't hurt the motor any. But there's another reason why it's over heating that you should probably look into

Well I know that 4 strokes can't sit and idle for too long before overheating.  They need to be moving to get airflow around the radiator.  I am thinking I just let it idle too long and it got too hot.  I am just wondering if I did any damage to my bike?

Well I know that 4 strokes can't sit and idle for too long before overheating. They need to be moving to get airflow around the radiator. I am thinking I just let it idle too long and it got too hot. I am just wondering if I did any damage to my bike?

You might have hurt your bike if you let it spew out coolant for a couple minutes but honestly you didnt hurt you bike in the slightest bit. Now if this becomes a constant thing where you are always letting it overheat then yes it will start to hurt you bike but a one time thing there should be nothing to worry about.

I agree with everyone, most likely no damage this time. You've found that most modern water cooled 4 strokes don't tolerate just sitting and idling well.

When you top off your radiator, just cover the core, don't fill it all the way up into the neck. Then be sure the level in overflow reservoir is at right height. Don't use tap water. Only distilled water should be used.

Go to Autozone and get some Red Line Water Wetter. Add the recommended amount to the radiator.

I just bought a 2007 rmz 250. I was letting it idle for a couple minutes then all of a sudden green liquid starting spraying out of a hose near the radiator. I immediately shut the bike off and sprayed the engine off with water from my garden hose to cool it off Did I do any damage to my bike? Do I need to put more coolant back in?

yeah don't spray a hot bike with water my friend did it once and it cracked his header

Couple things. Yes, its normal. What happened is it overheated, the coolant expanded, and it pressurized enough to open the relief valve and allow that extra coolant to steam out. Why this happens at idle and lower speeds is a combination of the water pump not spinning as fast, and no air traveling over the radiators.

You didnt hurt anything. It happens sometimes. However, I reccomend you run Engine Ice. People whine that its soooo expensive when it really isn't. The extra $5 is worth it for something that will only be changed once a season. Your local shop should carry it or you can buy it online. I run it in my KX and I've never overheated, and of all my buddies bikes, only one that runs engine ice (out of 4) has overheated. Rarely.

Next thing, dont ever spray water on a hot engine. Ever. The rapid contracting of the engine will crack it right in half.

EDIT: When I say run engine ice, change out the old coolant and put in fresh engine ice. Just fill it so you can see it, not allll the way up to the cap.

Edited by lethalweapon100