Sign in to follow this  

Picked up a 15 250f today...

I started getting the itch to ride again here lately so I bought a 15 250f today. I have been on big bikes since 2000 but at 43 I dont race anymore and have more fun on the lighter bikes. I havent ridden much since 2010 when I got hurt at 3Palms even though I did by a new CRF450 in 2011. It only had 3hrs on it when I gave it to bk14mx! Anyway, I am getting back into riding and I plan on doing some mods to this thing before riding it...like suspension, bars, exhaust and tuner. There's not much on here about the 14/15 bikes though. 

What hour meter is everyone using and where are you mounting it? My last 450 had the WC meter with the bracket that mounted to the front tank bolt. I dont think that will work on this bike. Anybody have a link for what exhaust/tuner combo has worked best? I will ride MX only. What about suspension recs? Dave at Smart did my 450 and I was pleased with the result but not with the wait...and it appears it has gotten worse. I actually emailed him to send the suspension boxes for a friend's bike...this was 6wks ago. Still no boxes. I dont think I will be using Smart Perf anymore. Anyway, here's a pic...it's a very sweet looking bike. 

250f_zpsf1a076c2.jpg

• Like 7

three palms huh? Planning to come to rio bravo with this new machine?

I've never ridden there...kinda hard to pass up 3Palms and go to Rio. BUT...I live in Mississippi now so I wont be riding much there in Houston anyway.

I've never ridden there...kinda hard to pass up 3Palms and go to Rio. BUT...I live in Mississippi now so I wont be riding much there in Houston anyway.

I learned that after I went the first time, it was very easy to pass up 3 palms. Too bad you won't be riding much in Houston.

I have seen vids of the place and I like the soil at 3P better...My favorite track there in Texas by far is Cycle Ranch. I will be making a trip over there this fall.

I started getting the itch to ride again here lately so I bought a 15 250f today. I have been on big bikes since 2000 but at 43 I dont race anymore and have more fun on the lighter bikes. I havent ridden much since 2010 when I got hurt at 3Palms even though I did by a new CRF450 in 2011. It only had 3hrs on it when I gave it to bk14mx! Anyway, I am getting back into riding and I plan on doing some mods to this thing before riding it...like suspension, bars, exhaust and tuner. There's not much on here about the 14/15 bikes though.

What hour meter is everyone using and where are you mounting it? My last 450 had the WC meter with the bracket that mounted to the front tank bolt. I dont think that will work on this bike. Anybody have a link for what exhaust/tuner combo has worked best? I will ride MX only. What about suspension recs? Dave at Smart did my 450 and I was pleased with the result but not with the wait...and it appears it has gotten worse. I actually emailed him to send the suspension boxes for a friend's bike...this was 6wks ago. Still no boxes. I dont think I will be using Smart Perf anymore. Anyway, here's a pic...it's a very sweet looking bike.

250f_zpsf1a076c2.jpg

You can buy a normalhour meter but you can see how many hours the bike has through the gytr powertuner(which comes with the bike I think). Exhaust I'd get FMF 4.1 factory I remember reading it was the best all around pipe for the yamahas. Could go with PC or yoshi though. Id send the suspension to Enzo or pro circuit(Enzo is probly cheaper and just as good if not better cuz they do the Yamaha race teams).

250f_zpsf1a076c2.jpg

You can buy a normalhour meter but you can see how many hours the bike has through the gytr powertuner(which comes with the bike I think). Exhaust I'd get FMF 4.1 factory I remember reading it was the best all around pipe for the yamahas. Could go with PC or yoshi though. Id send the suspension to Enzo or pro circuit(Enzo is probly cheaper and just as good if not better cuz they do the Yamaha race teams).

I've seen other people post this but is it definitly confirmed that if you have a gyt tuner you can see the bikes hours?  Does anybody know if the hours are resettable.  It would be nice if they weren't so that would be one less thing to hang on the bike!

Congrats on the bike.  I'm coming back to the blue side shortly.....

Edited by BIG_FAT_&_SLOW

The GYTR tuner does not come with the bike. I wish it did. You must purchase the tuner seperately, and you can reset the hours through the tuner.

Well, it looks like I will have to do my own research on what works best for this bike...I ordered some bars, grips, exhaust, tuner and Genius throttle body. I will post up with a ride report soon.

Congrats, it's a fun bike,,,even for this 52 year old slow poke.

Well, it looks like I will have to do my own research on what works best for this bike...I ordered some bars, grips, exhaust, tuner and Genius throttle body. I will post up with a ride report soon.

I own a 2014. I installed the WC hour meter with mounting bracket. They sell the bracket specific to this bike. It bolts right up. If I think of it tomorrow I'll post a pic of how I mounted it.

As for pipes the Yoshi and the FMF 4.1 are both really good on power but the Yoshi is louder. I don't know what the GYTR tuner costs but I believe it only has 3 maps. I am planning on getting the Power Commander V for my bike and having it dyno tuned. Had planned on doing the dyno tune sooner but decided to do the suspension up first instead.

I'm curious as to what the Genius throttle body does?

I own a 2014. I installed the WC hour meter with mounting bracket. They sell the bracket specific to this bike. It bolts right up. If I think of it tomorrow I'll post a pic of how I mounted it.

As for pipes the Yoshi and the FMF 4.1 are both really good on power but the Yoshi is louder. I don't know what the GYTR tuner costs but I believe it only has 3 maps. I am planning on getting the Power Commander V for my bike and having it dyno tuned. Had planned on doing the dyno tune sooner but decided to do the suspension up first instead.

I'm curious as to what the Genius throttle body does?

Thank you. 

Google Genius Throttle Body for info. Gets rid of the airflow restrictions in the TB and apparently significantly increases low end power. 

Davbrucas. Mxa did a pipe shoot out and the yoshimura was the winner.

I want to ride that thing when you get here.

I will check that out...thanks. And of course you can ride it.

• Like 1

That's funny... I got the itch and picked up a 14' almost a month ago. It's a fun bike, you said you picked up some mods, what bars did you go with? which exhaust?

That's funny... I got the itch and picked up a 14' almost a month ago. It's a fun bike, you said you picked up some mods, what bars did you go with? which exhaust?

I havent bought an exhaust yet. I ordered some Twin Walls though. I am not a Pro Taper fan.

Thank you. 

Google Genius Throttle Body for info. Gets rid of the airflow restrictions in the TB and apparently significantly increases low end power. 

I will check that out...thanks. And of course you can ride it.

Ouch! $1500.00 for a throttle body. Too much for me. I like the idea but I think for $1500 I can get more bang for my buck. I would love to hear your ride report though before and after since the dyno only tells one story. Sometimes products are better or worse regardless of what the dyno says. I am willing to bet you will notice a significant difference though from what is being reported. :thumbsup:

• Like 1