Sign in to follow this  

xr 250 smoking

Hey guys, looking at a 1999 honda xr 250. i can get the bike for about $800, but it smokes a little bit on start up until its warm, then the smoke stops. is this something to be really concerned with? or is this normal? any help is appreciated. Thanks  :ride:

That can be an indication that when the bike is shut down after a ride and put away, oil left in the head seeps past the valve guides and seals into the cylinder, then gets burned off after a little while when the engine is started next time.

If the bike has the use and mileage for its age, its pretty typical. If you buy it, it may be time to freshen up some of the engine components.

Thanks guys, I was thinking it would need some engine "freshening up" too. But this is where my confusion started.. with the smoke pretty much stopping when it gets warm.. would it be a gasket thing? valve seals? rings? 

Negative on the rings. As they heat up and expand, the smoke only gets worse. My 250R had serious white smoke under any throttle opening. Ripped apart the jug and the ring gap was 3 X what it should have been haha.

I have the opposite problem now. Two of the three holes that the oil filter cover bolts onto are stripped, and oil seeps out from around the cover. The bike runs fine, but after it is heated up it smokes a bit. I bought a new clutch cover and am hoping that will fix it.

Most likely is the valve seals. Then again, once it is heated up and the oil is less viscous you would think even more oil would seep past the seals but I guess if it is a small leak then the oil only gets in when it sits for a while..

I would plan for $300 - $400 for a new top end. As long as the CAM and rockers are okay you can just bore out the jug and put in a Wiseco or JE piston and rings. Valve seals come with most complete gasket sets on ebay. Might not be a bad idea to lap the valves and seats a bit when you take them off to ensure you'll fix the leak.

Naw man that smoke just means it is just gettin' broke in good. My 97 400 blows a cloud all over the place, sometimes more, sometimes less or none at all. That's par for $800

So sometimes your engine is effed up and sometimes it is not. Blowing smoke is never normal. I have put about 10K miles on my 650L and never seen a spec of smoke ever..

So sometimes your engine is effed up and sometimes it is not. Blowing smoke is never normal. I have put about 10K miles on my 650L and never seen a spec of smoke ever..

But your 650L is worth more than $800.....  :)

We're talking about old Honda's at the bottom end of the spectrum here. High hours+time+low price tag= higher likelihood of smoke. 

Most likely, meticulously maintained bikes like yours with the chunky motors and waayyy more dual sport time won't see the same smoke as a smaller thumper that has been beat and ragged on the trails since 1999. 

But your 650L is worth more than $800..... :)

We're talking about old Honda's at the bottom end of the spectrum here. High hours+time+low price tag= higher likelihood of smoke.

Most likely, meticulously maintained bikes like yours with the chunky motors and waayyy more dual sport time won't see the same smoke as a smaller thumper that has been beat and ragged on the trails since 1999.

These are good points for sure. But in the end doesn't it just mean that the top end is prob roached? $800 and then another 10 - 20 hours of engine work and $400 on new piston / rings / bore / valve job.

For $1200 you might be able to find one that is running okay already. I would emphasize the smoke and stay firm at like $600 or so. I would feel more comfortable around there.

Are you looking for a trail bike - off road only?

you could get a nice ready to ride 1998 - 2002 yz250 2 stoke for $1000 - 1200 in many area.  PA?  Awesome trail bikes.  Yes they smoke a little.

My 90' Xr 250 smokes a little on start up ...sometimes. I have ridden it about 300 miles , had tons of fun on the trail and have no problems with it performing . I got it for $800 ran great and shifted great, I figured for $800 that was good enough.

Lots of good advice from these guys, but I havent had a problem with mine and just took it out this weekend for 70 miles of trail fun.