Sign in to follow this  

1976 XL 100 Losing power

I picked up a 76 xl100 a couple of months ago. It was in running order, although it smokes like a beast. :) I recently started having major power lose issues when riding. It seems to be related to my electrical system as the problem occurs if/when the headlight/turn signals/ brake light are engaged. I didn't ride it for about three days and when i went to ride it the battery was dead. Thinking the two issues were related, I bought a new battery (6v) and charged it. The bike started right up again, but the power loss problem didn't go away. I am at a loss as to where to start. I will also mention that when the headlight is on, if I press the brake, the headlight does loose brightness, not sure if that is related. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks!

If this is a clean bike and still has a plate and you would like to keep it.  This might be a good time to invest in a CDI ignition.  On a XL its no small feet.  You have swap out the crank because of the taper. But you can pick them up on ebay pretty cheap.  Then, get a Baja Designs stator and kit.  That way you electrical and igniition will be all up to date.   

Edited by socalxr