Sign in to follow this  

08 xcf450 ktm to detuning for woods

i have a 08 ktm xcf 450 i have had it for a couple of months i built a xcross to ride on so i could get the feel for the bike . however i cant get used to the bike it has soooooo much torque one bobble on the throttle and your backflipping. I am no pro but i have ridden for twenty five years plus years and raced all over the country but this bikes power is so unuseable on anything but a motocross track any suggestion on how to make it more manageable any suggestions would be greatly appreciated  

I have the same bike. It has the map switch and I keep it on the low setting. The high setting is great for the open desert. I, ve heard a flywheel weight helps. I put one in my last bike (crf 450 r) and it made the power more manageable.

Agreed, could experiment with flywheel weights. Always been a choice on MX bikes (CRF's and YZ's).

thanks Guys 

i have heard about the map switch where is it located on the bike ? i am gonna order the 12oz flywheel weight asap . 

I put the switch on left side of the bars inboard from the clutch master. I've seen newer ones on the other side. On the left side of the frame, at the front of the tank, there's a pair of white connectors. As i recall when they're connected it's the aggressive map, and they're disconnected it's the "milder" map. The switch is just a way to toggle between modes.

thanks Guys

i have heard about the map switch where is it located on the bike ? i am gonna order the 12oz flywheel weight asap .

It is an aftermarket part, the bike doesn't come with one.

Edit - don't know if your bike came with one or not.

Edited by KennyMc

The switch is available through the KTM hard parts catalog. I think I'm going to take the switch off to clean up the handle bar and just leave the wire disconnected. In the mello mode it is still a handful.

Edited by oldandbroken

In addition to the flywheel weight, you could go down 2 teeth on your rear sprocket. 

I have a 2009 XCF that I use for everything from wide open dual track to single track. I run 15/52 or 51 gearing ( a bit high for first gear stuff but it works well for the other high speed stuff just as well). You can in fact disconnect one of the wires on the harness to be in "subdued" mode full time. That's how I run mine. 

BUT the best mod I made on the bike was a G2 throttle tube! It's one of the best mods on any bike. 

http://www.g2ergo.com/store/g2-dirt-tamer/

BTW, I looked and couldn't find anyone who makes flywheel weights for this bike. Maybe I'm wrong.

• Like 1

Get a G2 throttle cam and leave the HP map plugged in. I ride the same bike, same year, in New England slop and I have MUCH less riding experience than you (plus I'm 44 years old). I've always ridden 2 strokes and the first 2 rides on this bike were very frustrating. I put the G2 on and it made the power much more manageable. I started with the lowest traction insert (sorry, I forget the part# but it comes with 3 cams), then when I got used to that I went to the middle cam. I've since reverted to the stock throttle cam and wouldn't have it any other way. I don't think you should unplug the HP mapping wire. It's not that it has too much power, it's the rapid power delivery and the cam will make modulating the first 30-40% throttle much easier.