Sign in to follow this  

De-Tuning my KLX450!

Here's a different question. I don't want more power from my KLX, in fact I want less!

I bought the bike to use as a lightweight dual sport. I've fitted an Acerbis 16 litre tank, ordered 14 and 47 tooth sprockets, and am about to get the seat modded to be kinder to my 53 year old butt.

I took it for a good ride yesterday, and frankly, I don't need all that power, especially that stonking top end.

But I do need the light weight and nice suspension.

I'm considering fitting a smaller carby to the motor to tame things own a bit.

Anybody heard of this being done before???

Doesn't sound like a good idea. Train your wrist to not twist the throttle so far and twist it in a smoother fashion. Also, you might consider a G2 throttle tamer.

• Like 2

Sell it and get a klx 250 or 300. They already come so choked up you can hardly ride them.

• Like 1

I discovered this a couple years ago. If you retard the camshafts by one tooth each you get less power. I guess you could use Yamaha's trick and put a stop screw in the throttle. If you disconnect the gear sensor it will retard the timing 7 degrees as if it is in neutral. That will let you run some 83 octane gas that will probably make it less powerful.